I checked the Archives & this book hasn't been discussed in a couple of years. My
library is for 6-12 grades and we have this book. We have a Christian
non-demominational school--and we have other materials that are probably considered
"edgy".

  The issue at the moment is that for an 8th grade book project, a student selected
this book (as Teen Fiction genre) & presented a booktalk before her
classmates--tastefully apparently. Also all the 8th grades gave a book fair & spoke
about their books to a larger group - 6 & 7th graders---again tastefully. However,
a couple of parents & one 7th grade teacher have expressed concern about this book.

  I'm busily reading it at the moment in prep for a challenge, crossing my fingers
that doesn't happen. (In 11 years at this library, we have never had a challenge.)
I confess I hadn't read it previously but thought "how bad could it be" if it was
written in 1975?

  Any way, as I'm not at a U.S. school and somewhat how of what's going on there,
my question is: Do MS libraries generally have this book in their collections now?
Does it continue to be controversial in this day & age?

  I'll post a Hit with responses.

  Linda Rogde
  MS Librarian
  Seoul Foreign School