Overdues are driving me crazy, again! I have grades 6-12.

I know there is only so much you can do, and my elementary librarian tells
me that I need to realize that no one is cares whether there are overdue
books.

I realize that part of the problem is that we have had several snow days.
And I have been leaving before seventh hour because I am taking radiation
treatments.
I have left a check out paper(because I don't trust the students with the
circulation program) for the students to fill out their ID number, name,
barcode number, and book title.
That list has its own problems.

I defied FERPA and made a list of students who have overdue items from last
year or last semester asking teachers not to even let those students to come
to the library.

Why do the teachers (who are going to use the check out paper)
Not bring the list of overdue students with them to the library  and refuse
to let those students get anything else.

Why do the teachers who are bringing a whole class at a time,
Not notice that their class has 40 overdue items, but are only returning 10.

Why do teachers send the same students to the library day after day--if they
are not doing anything in class, will they suddenly do homework in the
library?

Why do students invariably say "I brought that back; I put it on the cart."

Why, Why, Why....

Thanks for listening agian.
Kay Goss
Mansfield Secondary Library