But wouldn't you also have to say "the edge" kids are used to NOW
correlate wit what the kids in th 60/70s considered edgy, or have teens
of the 21st century not evolved with literature, television and in
general, the culture they have been exposed to?
Magazines like this, Dark Knight, and others that target boys in middle
school and beyond can be the catalyst that gets them to enjoy reading as
an activity, not something to dread.  We all know boys like small books
with big words and lots of pictures.  And don't forget that humor only
guys understand and find funny...sometimes I still don't understand it.
Adults sometimes need to put on the hat of a teen or pre-teen in today's
world and look through those lenses.
Fact in point- the apearance of graphic novel four years ago vs. today.
And who are the readers of superheroes and manga?  Yep...guys.
Jeff, we've all had days like that, but something I remember reading
once - 99% of your day is good or great; 1% is bad.  But we spend all of
our time focusing on that 1%.  Is it worth it?  You're still a
respectable middle school librarian who understands the draw of popular
magazines.
I loved MAD and had to steal them from my brother when he wasn't home.
: )

Naomi Bates
Northwest High School
Justin, TX
nbates@nisdtx.org
817-215-0203

Naomi Bates
Northwest High School Library
>>> JK GREER <irismedia@MSN.COM> 03/08/08 9:39 AM >>>
I only have one word of caution regarding MAD or other magazines that
are on the edge.....

Please remember what was "cutting edge" satire in the 60s/70s is now
considered tame.  The edge is now further out.  Because the edge keeps
moving, it means that as librarians we need to renew the content of
magazines to the appropriateness of our student body.

This is the same caution for the authors who are pushing the YA
boundaries. Each book needs to be reviewed for the appropriateness for
our school.

Happy reading.JaKay Greer Teacher-LibrarianMiddle schoolAlbany,
Oregonirismedia@msn.com
http://biggestloser.msn.com/