Posted on behalf of Mal and Glenn.  Please respond to them, not me.

  <mailto:mallee@mac.com> mailto:mallee@mac.com

  <mailto:g.finger@griffith.edu.au> mailto:g.finger@griffith.edu.au

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
COOMA NSW 2630
AUSTRALIA

E. barbara.288@bigpond.com
Together we learn from each other

VOLUNTEERS TO RESEARCH STUDENT DIGITAL LEARNING AT HOME

Dear Colleagues

Dr. Glenn Finger and I are on the search for schools and teachers who are
interested in running some
structured focus groups to explore the nature of the learning the young use in
their homes, when
they use digital technologies.

Might you or your school be interested?

Glenn and I are researching a book on The Home - School Nexus - and The Development
of Networked
School Communities.

Our project is designed to provide guidance about how we can bridge the nature of
learning in the
home, as the young use a plethora of digital technologies, with learning in schools.

The 2007 Illinois Institute of Design think tank on Digital Schooling, that
involved thinkers like
Charles Handy and Gary Hamel, concluded:

"Kids lead high tech lives outside school and decidedly low tech lives inside
school.  This new
'divide' is making the activities inside school appear to have less real world
relevance to kids."

"The learning experiences of the kids outside school are increasingly more relevant
to modern life
than what is learned inside school. . . .  Kids are increasingly motivated and
engaged by what they
learn in out-of-school programs and in their virtual online lives, and mechanisms
for capturing and
enabling them must be found." (2007:24)

The desire is to prepare a practical guide for schools and education authorities on
how to lessen
the divide, and to create a genuine nexus between the learning in the home and
school.

A vital part of the work will be researching the seemingly chaotic nature of the
learning the young
use in their homes across the developed world, when using the various digital
technologies, and the
skills, competencies and attitudes they are acquiring, largely independently of the
schools.

The desire is to engage the support of teachers in different parts of the world,
and from different
age levels and cultures to conduct structured focus groups with their students.
We're looking for
each teacher to run three focus groups, over approximately a week, and then to use
their
professionalism in writing up the student feedback.  We'll provide the structure.

A related desire with the approach is to provide the schools involved with a
greater insight into
what is occurring and what they could do to forge a closer link between the
learning in the home and
school.  Obviously if there are several teachers from the one school, we would
welcome their
participation to provide more comprehensive insights.

It is not a big job, and should be very rewarding for both you and the school.

If you would like to join in this research, or would like more information to
obtain your support,
simply email Glenn or myself, and we'll send you the required information,
simulation material and
the guide on how to conduct the focus groups.

Please feel welcome to share this invitation with other colleagues in other schools
who might be
interested.

Kind regards

Mal Lee and Glenn Finger