Over the summer I dumped the circulaton desk. I thought it was serving as a
barrier. So, I have a computer desk in its place - this desk would serve for a
library aide - if I had one. I like the look of no circulation desk - wish I had
dumped the official desk years ago.On the desk now are 2 Bibles (The Message and
the NRVS); 1 small statue of Mary; a vase of flowers (fake), and the "gun" for the
circulation system. I've gone minimalistic in my old age.AllanDr. Allan O'Grady
Cuseo, MGCDirector of Library ServicesBishop Kearney High School | A Golisano
Education Partner125 Kings Highway SouthRochester, New York 14617585.342.4000
x231585.342.4694 (fax)www.bkhs.orgCollege Prep. Plus.-----Original
Message-----From: "Linda Lucke" [llucke@D70SCHOOLS.ORG]Date: 03/31/2008 11:42 AMTo:
LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDUSubject: Re: [LM_NET] TARGET: What interesting thing do you
keep at the circ desk?We keep a variety of interesting things on our charge desk.
I am
always on the look out for what I can "oil toys", those eye catching
items made of two different weight oils, that can be reversed, so the
oil moves in interesting ways, spins water wheels, rolls in droplets
down a scaffold, etc.  The kids love to play with these while they
check out.  We also have many "goober" toys, things with some kind of
thick filler, that ooozes around when you move the toy, and drops in
interesting patterns.  We have had sand toys, that come in a frame,
and that when upended forms interesting sand pictures, and "pin"
toys, where you move your hand under pins, and by adjusting the
heights you form interesting patterns.  We have also had magnetic
toys, bases with many loose magnetic pieces on them that can be
formed into interesting shapes, although the pieces of these tend to
get lost quickly.  We find anything that can be fingered and shaped
is irresistible!

Linda Lucke
Butterfield Learning Center
Butterfield Elementary School