Hello everyone,

My assistant principal just approached me and asked if I knew of any
other working middle school schedules that differ from our current
schedule, or any materials that would help our MS decide on how best to
"revamp" our schedule for next year.   I am not really aware of any
materials (books or websites) that deal specifically with schedules, let
alone middle school specific materials, and I would really appreciate
anyone's input as I embark on this assignment.

Let me preface this with our own schedule and then ask for your help.
We have a 6 day cycle, with 4 days devoted to a study hall period and PE
in the other 2 days, same time period.  We have a nine period day (42
minutes for each period), with students traveling from class to class in
a "section" - all students in the same section have the same schedule.
We have 2 teams of 6 sections in each grade - 6, 7 and 8.  Those
students have reading, English, science, social studies and math each
day plus one study hall (or PE).  They also have a  special, lunch and
"ninth period," which is supposed to be an activity period/second study
hall.

What I would love to hear from you all is how your schedule operates,
especially if you are a middle school.  I know that it is extremely
tedious to analyze every component of a schedule, so if you could answer
two key questions that would be wonderful, and any other information
would be a much appreciate bonus.  The two questions are

1.     How does your MS incorporate specials (do all grades have the
same specials (as in, one quarter of art for each of their three middle
school years, etc), do specials serve as planning periods for other
teachers, and so forth)?

2.     Do your MS students have a study hall or activity period or BOTH,
and if so, how does that work?  Are they required to have an activity
(like a club or band or something) during that period, or do they remain
in homerooms or study halls with the teachers? Do the study halls occur
every day, less frequently, etc?  If you don't have study halls, what is
it like, and how do teachers and students make up missed work, complete
homework or seek remediation?

If you answer the above, could you please let me know if you follow a
traditional 7-10 period schedule, block scheduling or something else
(such as "pods," where students have only two teachers that cover
multiple subjects).

Finally, if you know of any books or websites available that have sample
schedules or models, I would be grateful for a gentle nudge in that
direction.

Thank you so much for your help in this complex world of middle school
scheduling!  I will post a hit if anyone else expresses interest in this
topic.

Erin L. Glover, Librarian

James Buchanan Middle School

Mercersburg, PA