This is my second year of doing book club.  Sometimes, I think I'm crazy.  I
have no money and can't raise money or charge money.  So, I created a
partnership with the public library.  They get me enough copies through
interlibrary loans.  The students all must have a public library card.  The
books all get charged out on my library card.  But if anyone ever loses a
book or is incredibly late with returning it (which hasn't happened) the
library can transfer the book to their library card and not hold me
responsible.  So that being said, I pick the book.  I try to pick a book
that I can get enough copies of and isn't the hot new book.  I don't
necessarily worry about sex, violence, drugs and profanity as long as it's
reasonable to the story.  I wouldn't pick anything I wouldn't want my own
children to read. Last year we read America by E.R. Frank and there was a
lot of everything.  I was worried (I had to Muslim girls in the group) but
didn't have any problems.  We read one book every 3-4 weeks.

I started a book club this year, after 20+ years without one I'm ashamed to
say. I admit I'm having a good time with it!

We used to have a very conservative Superintendent & Principal and I had
been discouraged from recommending books to students and/or making books
public in any way. A banned books display, for instance would have been
forbidden. Ironic, huh? They both retired.

Anyway, I picked Twilight to start things off and the response was
tremendous. It was a hot title, anyway and a lot of kids had already bought
and read the book. I went to the local B&N and bought 8 paperbacks with
school money and turned around and sold them to my students. I kept the $
and used it to buy the next title (Uglies), etc.

I can get away with two or three library copies and 6-8 buy/sellcopies. They
pass them around to each other. I also have ILL available.

So, the first meeting had close to 20 students, including 2 boys. The
upperclassmen talked the most. The 2nd book had fewer students and by the
3rd & 4th meeting I had a core group of approx 12 regulars. For 3 & 4 we
read Nineteen Minutes and Maximum Ride: Angel Experiment.

I have a sign up. They take turns bringing food. I took suggestions but I
made the final decision on the books. There were no complaints and no one
dropped out because of it. I had a student teacher during one of the
meetings and she was adored. She had some icebreaker activities and made
eclairs. She made it very special just by putting a tablecloth out and
fixing tea. (Frankly, I'm more of an outdoor person and not much of a tea
party person - but they ate it up)

My club consists of girls who are geeky and endearing and depend on me to
continue it. I must say I'm warming up to it all -  and it hasn't required
any headache on my part. We met once before school for breakfast club but
felt rushed, so now it's after school or during the Wednesday morning
activity period.

They weren't evenly spaced, either, such as monthly. I think that's too
often. Have fun... Start it casually and see what happens!
Sorry for the rambling!

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."--Harry S. Truman

LHS Mission Statement: "The art of caring, the mission of excellence in
studies, and the pride in achievement ensure success for all. Logansport
High School---a school of champions."

Tedine "Teddy" Soule, Librarian

Logansport High School
P. O. Box 549