Richie's Picks: THE TRIALS OF  KATE HOPE by Wick Downing, Houghton Mifflin,
April 2008, 329 p., ISBN:  978-0-618-89133-7

"I hate being fourteen.  My calves are huge,  my ankles are thick, my chest
is a cavity, and my right elbow is larger than my  left one."

In so many ways Kate is a typical fourteen-year-old who is  beginning her
summer vacation.  But in 1973 Denver, Colorado, at the height  of the modern
Women's Rights Movement, Kate is actually a one-of-a-kind  teenager: She is now a
practicing attorney.

"My stomach hurt as I zipped back to the office.  'Your  young man called,'
Mrs. Roulette said, 'He'd like you to call him.'
"'Mike Doyle is not  my young man!'  The  office had emptied except for Miss
Willow, who sat huddled in a corner.  'I  can't call him now.  Miss Willow and
I have to be in Judge Steinbrunner's  courtroom in twenty minutes.'"

Having spent quality time with her curmudgeonly,  sharp-but-nearly-blind,
attorney grandfather, Kate has taken advantage  of an old law that was still on
the books in Colorado to obtain her law  license.  (In his Authors Note the
author presents the case for this being  possible.)

"'It's Kate Hope!' the receptionist said, smiling at me.   She knew who I
was, which was nice.  All the receptionists, and  secretaries, and the women who
did all the work that men got credit for, knew  who I was.  I got energy from
them too, because they wanted me to  succeed.  'How are you, honey?'
"'Great,' I lied."

While Kate is primarily working by assisting her grandfather  -- including
helping with a case quite topical for 2008 involving a Mexican  citizen who is
in Denver on a work permit -- she ends up taking charge of a  death penalty
case:  Elderly Miss Willow's only family -- her dog,  Herman -- has been accused
of getting loose in City Park and biting the  Pearsan's baby.  He is about to
be euthanized unless Kate does  something quickly:

"Her voice was one step from hysteria.  'There's no time  to lose.  Officer
Milliken wants to put an end to the dog today.  He  will take the paperwork to
the city attorney's office himself, and will walk it  through.'
"'What does that mean?'
"'He will have the city attorney write up an order, ordering  Animal Control
to "destroy" Herman!  That's what the law calls killing  dogs.  Then he will
take the order to the judge and have it signed, and  come back to the shelter,
and...'  Her voice trailed off to a  gasp.
"'And what?'
"'He will see to Herman himself.'
"I was shocked.  'You mean he'll kill him  personally?'
"'Yes.'
"'Why?' I asked.  'Is he a sadist or something?   What's the big hurry?  Why
does it have to be today?  What  about Miss Willow?'"

The series of steps Kate takes in trying to determine what  really happened
that day in City Park and the extended effort  she puts forth in trying to save
Herman's life is dramatic,  realistic, and eye-opening.  Author Wick Downing
is a retired lawyer  who has written numerous legal thrillers for adults.  The
manner in which  he has fit together the pieces of the tale of the dog makes
THE  TRIALS OF KATE HOPE an exceptionally quick and engaging 300+ page  read.

"As the jurors filed back into the box, I considered my  options.  Was
suicide an alternative?  No, I thought, trying to cheer  myself up.  Mom would kill
me."

For young adolescents caught up in trying to understand  exactly how adults
determine what is fair, and for those who are fascinated by  the processes and
rituals of our system of laws and the  seeking of justice, THE TRIALS OF KATE
HOPE provides an intriguing, entertaining  (and frequently ugly) look at the
inner workings of American jurisprudence.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks http://richiespicks.com
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks