Dear LM_Net,

I always stamped a page with our school name after the first 32 pages.  If
the cover is missing I want the book back.  This means I move the title from
"missing" to damaged, therefore I immediately replace the book with a new
copy.  That way other students can read the book instead of me waiting until
the end of the school year to see if the book is still "missing" before I
buy a new copy.  In addition, if I wait too long to buy the title then the
title may be out of print, and my collection is missing a good book. Lastly,
I can immediately bill the patron who "lost" the book in order to recover
the funds for my budget.

During my second year as a school librarian I had a very damaged book
returned to me.  It was missing both its front and back covers, and the
first 32 pages of the book.  But our school name was on page 39, therefore
the book was returned to us.  I called the student down who checked out the
book and they admitted they had left the book at a playground.  I called the
parents about the book, and I sent them a bill which they immediately paid.
I went down to my local book store and purchased a new copy of the title for
the school.

It takes only a few moments to stamp the page of a book which has been worth
the effort because every once in a while I get a damaged book returned and
it is replaced in a timely manner.

--
Peter G. Mohn, LMS
Snohomish Freshman Campus

"You live and learn.  Or you don't live long."  -- Heinlein