Library Assistant
Greenwood ES
Glena Allen, VA 23060

Shannon, I polled the kids to find out the topics they look up the most. From that
list I listed?those words (and their shelf?locations if non-fiction),?I printed
them out, laminated and posted one at each of the kiosk search computers.?I also
printed out a list of keywords from the?circulation software that I keep in a
notebook at the circulation desk. I probably use it more than anyone, but some of
the older, more savvy students and a few teachers?will often look at it for
alternate word choices.

?

To be honest, I think my students are?more successful once they understand Dewey
organization. Our library isn't huge, but it's a nice size and I've broken it down
to be more K-5 friendly. I'm not ready to go with the "bookstore look", but there
is a logic in separating out highly circulated?series (both fiction and
non-fiction), early non-fiction and early chapters from the rest of the collection.
Our students seem satisfied as well.

?

My focus is more on the logic of the arrangement of books. For some reason, the
idea that the football books are in the same place everytime they come isn't a
concept that any of them have mastered, but we're working toward that. I guess they
think that at night I stay at school and move things around.

?Shannon,
we put a ton of "see refs" in our OPAC (Follett) to guide students.? We can edit
our authority records so we could even misspell words if we wanted to to create
see refs.? There's no reason why if you see a common misspelling that you
couldn't add it as a see ref!

#3:
Another option, if your system has it, is to click BROWSE instead of SEARCH and
if they are close, they can pick the correctly spelled version from the list
provided.? They will learn to recognize the correct spelling and may use it the
next time, as well.