Rec'd alot of responses......some a bit contradictory.  Thank you everyone who
replied!  Lots of valuable information here....

I have a Flip video cam, but don't have Movie Maker or Pinnacle.  However the Flip
automatically installed video editing software when you plug the cam into the USB
port the first time.  Once you have done that, you can export from the FLIP
software into several formats.

A am going through the same process. Save the video from the Flip onto your
>desktop as if you were saving to email it to someone (WMV format) Then open
>MovieMaker and import the video from there.  Now you can edit the video
>without having to have the camera in the USB port.  I would think the same
>process would apply to Pinnacle, although I haven't tried it.
>
> Here is a great site with MovieMaker tutorials/how to's, etc.
> http://edtech.kennesaw.edu/nisa/moviemaker.htm

Flip comes with a basic editor built in.  You can crop from the beginning or end of
a clip.  It also has a movie creator which allows you to edit clips togehter into
one movie--I haven't used this since it requires admin rights to install and I
haven;t gotten around to nagging my tech guys.  However, I have pulled the clips
into Movie Maker with no problems--just opened them.  I've never used Pinnacle.

Yes, the flip videos work well with MovieMaker.  I just made my first ones
> last week; you can see them at sudduthlibrary.wikispaces.com.  The audio
> is directly from the camera as well.  These were the first time I had ever
> used MovieMaker, and I had just opened the flip camera a few days
> previously.
>
> The camera plugs directly into a computer USB port, and MovieMaker imports
> the video as a series of clips; drag the clips into a timeline, add
> titles, music, etc.  (I believe you have to buy the USB cables separately;
> I got everything on sale at Follett.)

I tried to use flip video last year in a media arts class.  It was nothing but
trouble.  Flip video requires special codec with if you  are using on a regular
desktop is not a problem.  HOwever, if you have deep freeze it wipes the codec out
and you have to reload everything every day and it takes a very long time.  Also,
flip videos have rather poor pixle quality in comparison to other cameras.  I
instead purchased a samsung with an sd memory card.  A 4gb card holds 135 minutes
and battery is about the same.  All you have to do is simply plug the card into a
card reader.  I

was a fan of flip video but I now prefer the samsung.  I also had a flip video to
crash shortly after buying it.  The samsung runs about 190 so it's not a whole lot
more expensive and the picture quality is much better and it has a great zoom.  I
use it for sport all the time (soccer).

I bought an RCA Small Wonder video camera this past August from Circuit
Ctiy for $85.  Our 5th grade news team has used it for our weekly news
show.  It records  .avi files to an SD card.  The files can easily be
transferred to the computer for use with Windows Movie Maker.  It is not
the best video and audio quality, but we have had no complaints from our
audience.
Prior to the acquisition of the RCA Small Wonder, I had to use Quick
Media Converter (a free download) to convert the .mpg files from our
Sony camcorder to .avi for use with Movie Maker.
I hope this info helps.

I got the Flip Video Ultra.  They're still the same price I paid at
Follett--$149.99; I never researched to see if this was a good price, just bought.

I just had a visit from my Follett salesman.  He showed me a brochure stating that
THEY are now selling Flip Video cameras--$149 each I think.  We talked a little
about editing, and he maintains that the editing software that comes with the
camera is quite a bit easier to use than MovieMaker.  Check it out!

Flip are MOD files also.  I have not tried to do anything with them yet.
Hi - For my Flip/Small Wonder camcorder recordings to import properly
into MovieMaker, I had to install an extra codec.  Both the Flip and
Small Wonder camcorders record in AVI format, and MovieMaker doesn't
recognize that file without a "helper."

I use:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack/

Be sure to uncheck the "AVI Splitter" option and also be careful to
decide whether or not you want your Windows Media Player replaced by
the codec's Classic Media Player.

Once the codec is installed, you should be fine.  I've posted a draft
set of instrutions for using Flips/Small Wonders with MovieMaker
(assuming the codec ha already been installed) at
http://bps_new_frontier.seedwiki.com under the MovieMaker link.

Haven't used Pinnacle, but perhaps the problem is similar?

we have found that all items to be used in movie maker need to be saved
in ONE folder on the individual users personal drive on our computer
network
even with our flip camera, the video file must be in that one user's
personal folder, containing all items for the movie maker video
once everything is saved into ONE file folder, users no longer have
issues with items not appearing in movie maker

the one issue we've found with the flip camera is the requirment for
immediate installation of its software on each computer being used and
"clean slate" software removes it each time our network users log off
AND the camera does NOT allow the user to select where videos will be
stored SO once a video is save to the computer from the flip camera, the
video file must be moved to that ONE file folder storing all items to be
used in movie maker

Yes.  I just used the import video command and chose the flip as the
source.  It is an avi file.  I am using a flip mino.  I have some
aptiek (?) cameras that the kids can use.  They were purchased by the
PTO for student use.  I also have some digital cameras that take
short clips that the kids can use.

I bought the USB cables; there were three (in different colors), and again I didn't
comparison shop, so maybe I could have found them at a better price, but I like the
fact that they're very short and un-tangly and that one matches the flip (I bought
orange)--makes for ease in finding it.  I also bought and like the tripod because
it lets me set the camera at an angle.

Hi
>  I purchased a Flip Video for the media center. I had to convert the files
> to import into MM. I used a free software program called SA Media
> converter. It was very easy to do.

we purchased ONE to see if we wanted to find further funds for
additional flip camcorders.  kinda a toss up between it and what we have
in larger sizes.

From what someone told me, you can import flip into moviemaker and it
will change it into and .wmv file.  Haven't done it yet, but this was a
reputable source.

We have 2 Flip Video cameras and 1 RCA Wonder camera (it has a media card that can
store up to 5 hours of video!) that we have used for about a year. We really like
them. They upload as AVI video files so we had to have our tech person add a file
to the Mac computers so it would open the video (audio was there but no video). On
a PC they work perfectly! I have not used them in Widows Movie Maker except to
import the AVI file and it was fine! I would think Movie Maker would work well.
Hope this helps.

I prefer the RCA because of the video storage card, it has a tripod mount, and it
has a flip-out screen that allows self-recording. Also, there was absolutely no
problem with uploading the video on a PC. The Macs need a file added no matter what
 type of "flip-video" camera is used. Video quality and resolution was good on both
cameras. Here's a link to a comparison review of both cameras.
http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/flashVideo/element_id/2140172220/taxid/29306.html

I have successfully used the flip videos with moviemaker.

Here's a website that tells you how to edit Flip Video in Movie Maker.  We received
5 Flips this year and I absolutely love them.  I have been editing on Photoshop,
though.  From this tutorial, it looks like it is possible, however it may not be
quite so easy!  Good luck!

http://www.jakeludington.com/movie_maker/20070925_edit_flip_camcorder_videos_in_windows_movie_maker.html

I use Adobe Premier Pro. Our district just gave us the base Flip Video. I haven't
really looked in to the other versions because we just got these a couple of weeks
ago. The kids use them frequently, and I have been very happy with them. The only
problem is that the editing software doesn't let you change the order of the
videos. So, if we have 4 clips we want to show as one whole video...we have to film
them in order. That is why I use Photoshop. It lets us put them in any order we
want.

All things considered, the kids really enjoy the Flip video. Its durable and pretty
easy to use. You can also extract a frame and have it printed as a photo.

Debbie McCormack
Willards Elementary
Willards, MD
djmackmd@hotmail.com