HIT: Walls, walls, walls! An office, not too big to be stolen, with a
sink and kitchenette if possible. Shelving should not be taller than 4
ft,
three different sections; circulation, teaching, and reference with
plenty of computers for PAC, or databases.  Plenty of ceiling height,
and indirect lighting as well as natural light that never touches the
materials.  North South facing windows verses East West facing.

SMART Board or Promethean, which ever your district supports, wall
mounted, ceiling mounted data projector, all attached to a good
computer
with plenty of memory and RAM.  Document camera, digital camera,
digital video camera as well.  Make sure your Internet is accessible to
your
CIRC, PAC, and interactive white board area as well.  You don't need a
TV if you have a good DVD player connected to cable and your data
projector.  Make sure you have more shelving than you could consider
every using, quality, not too tall!  Comfy furniture, plenty of
seating,
I like square tables verses round ones as they can be pushed together.

HIT: Make sure you have ample teaching space.  My library was remodeled
6 years ago (way before I got here) and although it's stunning, there
are no areas that I can have a group of students for instruction unless
we're in the computer lab (which I don't like to use unless we're using
the computers)

HIT: My library was remodeled last year, and I have to say I think the
architect did a magnificent job.  I now have a built in terrace area,
that has three steps on which the kids sit for story hour.  It has a
trellis structure around it, that is open for viewing, but provides
"psychological separation" from the rest of the library, and also
provides a structure for us to decorate for special occasions, seasons,
etc.  It is big enough to hold an entire grade level at a time, and so
it used for grade level presentations.  It has a ceiling mounted
projector, and a teaching station at the front which is permanently
wired for TV, video, and computer projection, with a retractable screen.
 The central part of the library has seating for about 60, and also has
a ceiling mounted projector with a retractable screen, but the equipment
is kept on a cart that can be moved out of the way.  This area is used
for class research, and adult meetings, including faculty meetings.
Then, off to the side, I have a computer area, with 2 round computer
carel tables that hold 6 computers each, so another class can work in
this area as well.  Walled off beyond the LC computers are a full
computer lab, also rigged with projection equipment, and a media room,
that is wired for TV distribution.

HIT: We just finished redoing our library and while we are not a huge
school, I do love our new library.  We have 2 computer labs, one is
separated by my office.  I have 2 large seating areas separated by
diagonal bookshelves.  From my circulation desk, I can see every part of
the library and one computer lab.  While it is an open design, it is
also quiet because of the portions of the ceiling that come down to
muffle sound and the other portions that raise up. If you have a chance
to help design the floor plan, take it.  They did consult me, I
submitted a floor plan, and that is essentially what we used. If you
would like to see the finished product, I have a link to it on my
website.  www.covenantchristianhs.org/Library/

HIT: Biggest con I’ve found so far:  Don’t put computers “in the
round.”  We have four computer tables built around columns and it is
terrible for trying to teach and manage a class.  You can only see a
quarter of the computers at any given time and the other ¾ of the
students usually aren’t following directions.

thanks for all the input.

Kathy Hempel
khempel@cusd220.org
Station Middle School