Thanks to everybody that responded to my target.  It sounds like ongoing
purchasing of the sticky mats and blades might be a pain, so I need to
make sure that doesn't come out of my already limited budget.  I'm
getting excited about getting one, and relieved we don't have to buy
their special paper.

Here's the HIT:

I have a cricut, as I am an avid scrapbooker.  I can no longer scrapbook
without it, as I am so addicted to it!

They have come out with some great cartridges that cut out words and
states and all kinds of school things.  If you buy the baby cricut, you
can cut things out from 1"-5".  If you get the bigger model, the
expression, I believe it cuts out a little bigger.  Each cartridge cuts
out in different effects, as well.  So, a person can easily cut out
bulletin board letters, and then cut them out with the shadow effect,
and can layer the letters.

You can use any paper you want with it.  They have a special matt that
you have to 'stick' the paper to.  So if you use construction paper, the
matts wear out faster.  You can use regular copy paper, any colored
paper, or cardstock.

One thing that's nice about it compared to a die cut machine most
schools have, is that the cartridges come with multiple shapes.  Instead
of spending $50 and getting one shape to cut out, you spend $40-$90 and
get at least 30 shapes per cartridge.  You can check out the different
cartridges at this

site:  http://www.cricut.com/shopping/productList.aspx?sc=2

If you have more questions, feel free to ask!

I have the Cricut machine and it is great.  You do not have to use their
paper.  I have used regular cardstock and it works fine.  I mainly use
mine for scrapbooking purposes but we did use it last year for some of
our yearbook pages.

I just got one so I am still learning how to use it.

It is WONDERFUL!

You type in what you want cut and it does it! Hands free!!!!

Shapes too.

I got the biggest one recommend that.

You can use any kind of paper, foam, static cling plastic Just like the
ellison.

You have to keep buying plastic sticky mats so we thought we Would put a
collection can in with it so people could throw some Change in there to
help replace them.

Don't know yet how often they will need to be replaced.

If you get more info. I would love to know too!

And glad to answer any more ? To my limited knowledge so far.

We have one of these at the scrapbooking class I go to. The friend who
bought it is a teacher. It comes with cartridges that have alphabets and
shapes loaded into them. You can purchase additional cartridges. You can
use any sort of paper. The only "consumable" part of it is the mat.

You choose your paper and put it on the mat. The mat is inserted into
the front of the machine. You insert the cartridge and choose the shape
you want to cut. You choose how large you want it. If you are cutting
letters you type in what you want.

Then you press start. The stylus cuts the shapes/letters. When it's done
you take a tiny spatula and peel the shapes/letters off of the mat.

It's better than a Ellison machine because you can do a wide variety of
sizes.

There are a number of websites that have examples of things you can make
with the cricut machine. My friend made an adorable Halloween page with
paper dolls dressed in different costumes. We have cut out phrases for
our scrapbooks. Someone made the Twelve days of Christmas with a large
number and the "thing" that goes with it (nine maids a milking...)

Hope this helps you.

Yes, we have one in our Kinder building.  It is in the library.  We also
purchased the program to do design on the computer A MUST!  You CANNOT
use construction paper.  I use card stock and it works fine. You do NOT
have to use their paper.

We LOVE it!  Do not get the little one, you need to get the Expressions.
You will have consumables. You will need to replace the blade when it
become dull.  You will need to purchase the mats that hold the paper
still while the cutting blade does it's thing.  This mat will loose its
stickiness after about 10 - 15 usages.  I purchase both mats and
cartridges from either this site http://creativexpress.com/ or Hobby
Lobby.  The manager there always works with me and gives me a great
discount!  I also use paper (card stock) from Hobby Lobby or Stampin Up!

The one thing that you need to know if that there is a learning curve.
There is probably a scrapbooker on your campus that can help or someone
from a local craft store that can give you guidance.  Many scrapbook
stores even have a class. I would recommend at least one person at your
campus take one.   If you have not used one, it takes some time to learn
blade depth and how to get more out of your paper.  It is not that hard.
Practice with inexpensive card stock.

Hope that this helps.

We just recently acquired one and it is neat...but!  It comes with only
one cartridge and more are very pricey.  Now with one you can make all
the letters you want but with just one font.  Any kind of paper works
from regular computer paper to heavy duty stuff.  The blades are pretty
long lasting but the mat seems to run out of sticking power fairly
quickly and you would need a replacement.

I think we will get our moneys worth out of it as people discover it is
here and what it can do.

It is more for Scrapbooking.  DOES NOT WORK on construction paper.  We
have one that teachers and students use but it is a little different
from an Ellison.  I love it for scrapbooking and card making. We use it
to make bulletin boards and posters you just have to make sure you use
craft paper or copy paper.

The cricut is fabulous!!! I am a scrapper and love it - you can do so
much with it.  There are many different fonts, cartridges that go with
it.  It is absolutely a "new & improved" die machine but has so many
more possibilities!!

It is sold in craft stores (such as JoAnn Fabric, etc)  I am not certain
of the spelling, but it has an insect as its mascot, so I am thinking it
is Cricket-Cut.  I do not own one, but teachers at my school who are
scarpbookers swear it is the best.

I have a Cricut at home that I bought for my personal use.  I have used
it to make a few signs for the library, and it works well if you do not
have an extensive Ellison Die collection (we only have one set at our
school, so our bulletin board letters are limited).  You must have the
different cartridges for the different fonts, and they are $50-$60 each,
so it can get expensive.  What I like about it is that you can adjust
the size, and use each font six different ways, so it gives a lot of
options. Also, if you have the software (an addition $60, but I got mine
free because of a promotion at Michaels), then you can lay the letters
out beforehand and "see" what you are cutting.  For me, the software
would be a must-have.  With just the display on the machine, it is hard
for me to judge exactly how big it will be on the paper.  You can use
any paper with it, although so far I have just used regular card stock.
I also bought the big one - Cricut Expression - and it cuts letters up
to 23".

Hi Rebecca - Our school bought one last year & it has gotten a ton of
use.  You can use it w/ construction paper but I wouldn't recommend
regular copy paper. The biggest issue we faced was what to do about the
mats and blades because they have to be replaced fairly regularly.  Our
solution was to make the cricut available for checkout - but  not send
the mats and paper w/ it .  So the departments have to provide their own
mats and paper - but we replace the blades and send extras just in case.
Re: the font cartridges - we have 3 generic types right now & may add
one or two to that w/in the next year. You might also want to check the
archives b/c I'm pretty sure there are some hits listed there re: the
cricut.

The Circuit is fabulous - you can adjust the size if the shape and
letters.

I don't use it at school but I use it for scrapbooking.  You definitely
would want to buy the bigger machine that 12x12 paper would fit into.
You can use any paper - you just adjust the pressure of the blade.  The
big expense after the machine and cartridges are the mats that you put
the paper on - they aren't all that expensive but you will go through
them.

Rebecca Dickenson, Librarian

Eagleton Elementary

708 Sam Houston School Road

Maryville, TN 37804

865-980-1455

rebecca.dickenson@blountk12.org

http://www.eeslibrary.edublogs.org

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for
the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and
may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged,
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.If
use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, notify us immediately
by forwarding the email to postmaster@blountk12.org and
(1) destroy this message if a facsimile or
a copy.

All email passing through the Blount County School System is scanned
for content, viruses and security before entering or leaving our servers.
Spam, viruses, dangerous attachments, and offensive content are removed
automatically.
Thank You