I didn't get too many responses on picture books with figurative
language for middle schoolers, but my internet research came up with
these titles.

There are lists below for similies, metaphors, personification,
hyperbole, and onomatopoeia.

Picture Books with Similes

A Turkey for Thanksgiving by Eve Bunting
Quick as a Cricket by Wood
Two Mrs. Gibsons by Igus Toyomi
The Wagon by Tony Johnston
The Whalesâ?T Song by Dylan Sheldon
Netties Trip South by Ann Warren Turner
.......  Airmail to the Moon.
Bunting, Eve.  A Turkey for Thanksgiving.*
Bunting, Eve. The Man Who Called Down Owls.
Carrick, Carol. Dark and Full of Secrets.
Chaucer, Geoffrey/  Chanticleer and the Fox.
Cole, Brock.  The Winter Wren.
Collins.  The Willow Maiden.
Dragonwagon.  Jemima Remembers.
Fields.  The Green Lion of Zion Street.
Fleischman, Sid. The Scarebird.
Fox, Mem.  Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Patridge.
Gobel, Paul.  The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses.
Hanson, Joan. More Similes
Haseley, Dennis.  My Father Doesn't Know About the Woods and Me.
Johnston, Tony.  Amber on the Mountain
Juster, Norton. A Surfeit of Smilies
Kennedy.  Song of the Horse.
Kesey, Ken.  Little Tricker the Squirrel Meets Big double the Bear.
Lester, Julius.  John Henry.
---.  Sam and the Tigers.
London, Jonathan.  Like Butter on Pancakes.
MacDonald, Golden.  Little Island.
Mattingley.  The Miracle Tree.
Moore, Clement.  The Night Before Christmas.*
Nesbit.  The Deliverers of Their Country.
Nixon.  Fat Chance, Claude.
Parnall.  Apple Tree.
Parnall.  Winter Barn.
Rylant, Cynthia.  Ticky Tacky Doll.
San Souci.  The Faithful Friend.
-----.  The Talking Eggs.
Say, Allen.  The Bicycle Man.
Schotter, Roni.  Captain Snap and the Children of Vinegar Lane.
Sommer.  I Read You Loud and Clear.
Stanley.  Saving Sweetness.
Stolz, Mary.  Storm in the Night.*
Tennyson, Alfred.  The Lady's Chair and the Ottoman.
Terban, Marvin.  Mad as a Wet Hen.
Tester.  You Dance Like An Ostrich.
Tresselt, Alvin.  Hide and Seek Fog.
----.  White Snow, Bright Snow
Turner.  Dakota Dugout.
Turner.  Nettie's Trip South.
Van Allsburg, Chris.  Polar Express.
Van Steenwyk, Elizabeth.  When Abraham Talked to the Trees.
William, Jay.  Everyone Knows What a Dragon Looks Like.
Wood, Audrey.  Quiet as a Cricket
Yashima, Taro.  Umbrella.
Yolen, Jane.  Owl Moon.
----.  Seven Blind Mice.
Young, Ed.  Seven Blind Mice.
Diary of a Worm and Diary of a Spider by Doreen Cronin.

Picture Books with Personification

Burton, Virginia Lee.  The Little House.
----.  Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel.
Conrad, Pamela.  Call Me Ahnihgito.
Cronin, Doreen.  Click Clack Moo.
Ets, Marie Hall.  Gilberto and the Wind.
Fox, Mem.  Night Noises.
McKissack, Patricia.  Flossie and the Fox.
Rylant, Cynthia.  Old Woman Who Named Things.
---.  Great Gracie Chase.
Silverstein, Shel.  The Giving Tree.
Steig, William.  Sylvester and the Magic Pebble.
Teague, Marc.  Dear Mrs. LaRue.

Metaphors in Picture Books

Coerr, Eleanor.  Sadako and the thousand paper cranes.
Gregory, Valiska.  Through the Mickle Woods.
Grifalconi, Ann.  Kinda Blue.
MacDonald, Golden.  Little Island.
Potter, Beatrix.  The Tale of Peter Rabbit.
Ringgold, Faith.  Tar Beach.
Tresselt, Alvin.  Hide and Seek Frog.
----.  White Snow, Bright Snow.
Yolen, Jane.  Owl Moon.

Onomatopoeia in Picture Books

Bunting, Eve.  Smoky Night.
Casterline, L.C. Sounds of Music.
Flack, Marjorie.  Angus and the Ducks
Franco, Betsy.  Summer Beat.
Gershator, Phillis.  Listen Listen.
Guiberson, Brenda.  Emperor Lays an Egg
MacLennan, Cathy.  Chicky Chicky Chook Chook
Munsch, Robert.  various
Raschka, Chris.  Charlie Parker Played Be Bop
Rosenthal, Marc.  Phooey.
Rylant, Cynthia.  Great Gracie Chase.
Usui, Kanako.  Fantastic Mr. Wani.
Wheeler, Lisa.  Old Cricket.
Wilson, Karma.  Bear Snores On.
Yashima, Taro.  Umbrella
Yolen, Jane.  Welcome to the Green House

Picture Books with Hyperbole

Arnold, Ted.  Hi Fly Guy!
Bertrand, Lynne.  The Granite Baby.
Cole, Babette.  The Trouble With Grandad.
Hawkes, Kevin.  Wicked Big Toddlah
Hutchins, Pat.  The Very Worst Monster.
James, Simon.  Baby Brains.
Ketteman, Helen.  Various.
McPhail,David.  Pig Pig Rides.
Prelutsky, Jack.  "I'm The Single Most Wonderful Person I Know" in
"The New Kid on the Block."
Riddle, Tohly.  Careful With That Ball Eugene
Silverstein, Shel.  "No Difference."

Lisa Weinstein
Century Junior High
Orland Park, IL 60467

--
Lisa Weinstein

"Books are like blankets, the mere sight of them around the house
provides warmth and comfort.  They are like mirrors, too, reflecting
places I've been, phases I've been through, people I've loved or
thought I did."  ~Mary Schmich, "Virtual or Not, Libraries are Sweet
Labor"