Thanks to all who replied.  I sent the information on to my principal
and will leave it up to him.

Here is the question:

A teacher from our school is taking a few students along with other

>people on a bus trip to Washington DC.  Along the way he want to show a

>movie released in the past year for "educational purposes."  The

>educational exemption allow for movies shown in the classroom to

>students only.  So is this okay?   Along those same lines - what do bus

>companies do who have DVD/VCR's on their bus for tours, etc.

Here is the basic reply:

This is not fair use - the movie must be tied to the curriculum. If put
to a court case, they would likely ask to see the lesson plan that
called for the movie.  This is a very unlikely scenario, however.

Bus companies show movies under a license sold by Swank, Inc. parent
company of Movie Licensing USA.

Also a quote from the copyright expert:

Here is what Carol Mann Simpson's book Copyright for Schools, Fourth
Edition, says on page 71:

"Q:  Our school will charter large, commercial busses for an extended

field trip.  The busses have VCRs and TVs.   We would like to show a

tape of a movie owned by one of the teachers to keep the children
occupied while we make this lengthy trip.  Is this legal?

A:  Probably not, unless public performance rights were acquired with
the tape.  This use of video is not face-to-face instruction.  It
probably involves some people who are not students and teachers in the
class, such as a bus driver or chaperones, and the bus might be
considered a bit strange for an instructional locale.  The copyright
holder, however, could grant (or sell) one-time public performance
rights.  Additionally, the bus company may have a public performance
license that will cover your use.  Investigate your options."

We should all buy the book.

Thanks again!!

Jan Klompmaker

Librarian