Original Post:

Dear Collective Brain,

I am hoping that someone (hopefully several someones) can help me find what I am
looking for. I am in desperate need of new library shelving. My current shelves are
not library shelves...they are fixed height, about 3 times as deep as they need to
be, so books are constantly getting lost, and the shelves are full, full, full.
Even with severe weeding (I weeded out over 10% of the collection last year, and
expect to weed a similar amount this year) I am running out of space. Does anyone
know of a grant or grants I could apply for that might get me some funding to
replace these shelves?

I will summarize and say that no one responded who knew of any grants that would
suit this purpose. I got several requests to pass on any information I found, as I
am not the only one in this situation. I got a couple of suggestions on how to deal
with the shelves being too deep, and one suggestion to weed more. Unfortunately,
the space is not my only issue...some of my shelves are in such bad condition that
they're splintering (yes, wooden shelves), some are about to break under the weight
of books, and some  have protruding nails...I live in fear that a child will injure
him or herself.

I realize it's a lot more rewarding for foundations to focus on grants that will
get materials and equipment for libraries; heck, it's more rewarding for me to
contemplate applying for these grants! But without adequate, safe shelving to
present these materials and equipment, the library cannot exist. I will continue to
search for a way to make my library safer and better able to serve my staff and
students.

Sarah Loch
Librarian
Valley Park Alternative School