Good morning all:
         OK--I searched the archives for something on this
and didn't see anything so I will throw the question out
there.
         Yesterday I had a 3rd grade class in here who
once again frustrated me. They are at that age where they
think that they can just read "anything" and get mad when
I tell them that Redwall and Tolkien are probably above
their level. "But I can read it" they tell me and proceed
to read the first paragraph. When I then ask them to
explain what they have just read they of course have no
idea but won't give up. As a result, they then go to the
picture book section and check out the same books they
have checked out for the last 2 years.
         I have tried booktalks...I have followed them
around in the shelves pulling books that are on topics
that they would like only to have them rejected...I have
read them the first books in series during story time to
try to get them interested...I even read them a medical
textbook one week and informed them that even though I
knew all the words, I didn't understand it and thus didn't
enjoy it. I have talked with their teacher who tells me
that they do like to read, just don't want to read stuff
that is recommended to them so I am turning to you see
what others do.
       Part of the problem with this class is that many of
them are the "babies" of the family and they want to read
the same books that their Jr. High brothers and sisters
read but I keep trying to tell them to save those for when
they can truly enjoy them (as in Jr. High) and read
something else now that they will outgrow later on.
       Please don't tell me to let them just read them
anyway. The parents are trying to get me to avoid that
type of thing and personally, I want them to read stuff
that they will enjoy, not just read a thick book simply
because they can sound out the words and impress their
friends with how hard of a book they can read.
       If anyone has a tried and true idea out there that
they can share, I would love to hear it by next week when
I have this class again.

Thanks to all!

Carol Van Brocklin
Librarian