I need to know if I am outdated on the view of what constitutes a Database.  In a
glossary of online terms from Online Retrieval A Dialogue of Theory and Practice I
found the definition as, "A collection of related records in machine-readable form.
 Databases may be of various types-bibliographic, numeric, directory, or full-text.
 It is the computer version of a file."  In my mind I always viewed databases as
things such as EBSCO Host or other such services.

Last week I had a student questioning why about.com was not considered a database.
After applying the above definition I am questioning myself.  He was saying that a
family member recently graduated from college and for classes it was considered a
database and not a web site.  We are using MLA so basically the citation comes out
the same with either way.  This just got me thinking that maybe I was missing
something.  Would that make Wikipedia a database?

Is something like about.com a database?  If you asked me on Thursday I would have
said no but am I wrong?  Has what constitutes a database changed?  Did I have the
wrong impression from the start?  How do you define it for students so that they
can see the difference?  Thank you for any help you can provide so I am being
accurate with students.

Connie Marr
Librarian
Ford City High School