From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Catherine Brown
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 4:11 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: [LM_NET] TARGET: A List of Good Lists to Join

Greetings --

For the last year or so, I have been receiving weekly (I think it comes
weekly?) mailings from Publisher's Weekly Children's BookShelf.
[ChildrensBookshelf@
email.publishersweekly.com]   Unfortunately, I don't have the URL for
the
page where you sign up to join the list, but I do remember that I came
upon it at the PW website.

Every issue is chock full of wonderful information such as what books
are coming out when, what movie/book combos will be around and when,
who's in the process of writing what, interviews with authors and
publishers (which are quite informative in terms of what trends lie
ahead), and lots of gossip-y kinds of information about staff changes,
editorial changes, illustrations, pending mergers . . . sort of an
inside track on children's lit.

The newsletter is pleasant to read, to-the-point, not a time hog to get
through, very well put together, and easy to read.  If I was in a school
this year, there are any number of articles I would have posted for the
kids to read including, of all things, the obituaries of writers and
illustrators they know.  (The obits are so well done, so informative,
and such a tribute to the body of work each person created that we will
continue to enjoy for years to come.)

I do wish that there was an index for all the past issues as often
remember reading just the right thing but finding it doesn't often make
it to the to-do list.  I'll put that on my New Year's resolutions list
-- create an index to PW Children's Bookshelf.

IF YOU SUBSCRIBE TO SIMILAR PUBLICATIONS, MAYBE YOU COULD send them to
the list, or to me off-list, and I'll put them together as a HIT.  I
know I have a couple more, but I also know I won't remember them until
they show up in my mailbox over the next month or two.  So let's say
that this is an ongoing invitation until the end of the year at which
point I will publish the HIT.

In the meantime, if you join the PW list, I hope you get as much out of
it as I have.

Kate Brown, M.Ed., M.S.
labookworm@gmail.com
Research Consultant (temporarily, I hope!)

  by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book. To
change your LM_NET status, e-mail to: listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the
message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET  2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL