Thank you to the couple of people who sent me something. The whole purpose of my
request was that I was tired of what I've been doing and wanted something new and
exciting....I'm still hoping someone will post after I send this out.  I got a few
who asked what I have done since I've been doing this for 20+ years. I will be
brief about that because a lot of the ideas came from the LM_NET archives.

Here's my original post:
"Subject: Target:Who wants to share a new & exciting 1st week K-3 lesson?

I've done a library concentration game, jeopardy, millionaire orientation... the
shelf elf, library dragon, ... It's about my 20th year and I just wondered if
anyone out there has a first week of school activity or lesson that they are
excited about and would be willing to share it with others."
Here's what was sent to me:

" I have three rules: Be Respectful, Be Responsible, and Be Ready to Learn.

This year (I'm new to this school) I'm going to to have the kids write a
simulated blog giving examples of how my rules apply in the library.  Each table
will be assigned one of the three.  Each person will write one example/idea and
then pass their paper to the right and the next person will respond or add a new
idea, and so on around the table.

We did a similar activity at the SLMS Leadership Retreat this year and it was
much more thought provoking than a typical discussion.

I'll do this with grades 4 and 5."

"I have only been in the library two years but I gave a tour of my library and
afterwards my third graders got with a partner and had to label the map of the
library. When they were finished, we went over the map together.  Afterwards, if
there was time, I read "First Day Jitters."

******Now for what I have done in the past in K-3  & some for 4-6
Go over my 3 rules of the library  (respect, responsible and ready to learn)  We
brainstorm examples of each and I demonstrate do's and don'ts. They of course love
the don'ts. Be silly and have fun and they will. I wear customs sometimes for
whatever theme for the year I want to do... Go over the goals for the year,
Definitely read a library related book that might share some insight into what a
library is or talk about rules so I can springboard to library rules or book care
rules the following week. ie. Library Dragon, Library Lil, The Library, No David,
Shelf Elf, etc. I hide things in different areas of the library that are related to
my theme and then they have to find them.... I have them sit in a circle with a big
cloth dice and we throw it at each other and have to say our names, then an example
of a good rule or bad rule depending on what the dice says.  There is always the
treasure chest idea or baby idea for talking about book care rules. These have been
talked about a lot in the archives so you should be able to read all about those
there. The Concentration game, Jeopardy, Millionaire etc. all have templates that I
adapted to review skills or rules. I have my own poster board games and then there
are templates at such sites as: http://jc-schools.net/TUTORIALS/PPT-GAMES/

Lori Willey, Librarian
Cayuga & A.J. Smith Elementary
Union Springs, NY