Thanks for the ideas about election theme and voting.  Below are the

I am in 7-12 building and have previously had votes for favorite book by
allowing each student a ballot every time they check out a book.  I then
compiled a list and announced them like David Letterman's top ten -- two at
a time for a full week.  Also had a poster in IMC and added the titles each
day from 10 to #1.

----------------------

You might want to look at the website www.voteforbooks.com by Upstart. The
students can vote for their favorite books and you can see how they
organized the election.

---------------------

I did something similar for the last presidential election.  I pre-selected
three books for grade K-3 and three for 4-5.  These were books that our
library did not own (but I wanted).  Summaries and visuals were posted about
the titles. After a week or two, the kids were given time in library class
to fill out their ballot with their choice (the three titles were printed on
the ballot with a book cover image) and put it in the ballot box.  The
winning titles were purchased immediately.  They loved it!

----------------------

Four years ago, I got in touch with our county election office, who offered
to let me borrow 3 portable election booths. The "booths" actually set upon
a table and have cardboard sides surrounding them. The students loved
voting! We did it during library time, one at a booth at a time in line,
just lkike grownups have to do for real elections.

I recommend asking either the League of Women Voters, local election
officials, or an elected public servant in your area, to see if you can
borrow equipment either before or after the Nov. election.

------------------------

It sounds like your clerk has purchased the same Highsmith Vote for Books
paraphernalia that I did. I have the ballot box set up on a small table just
inside the library door. I plan on putting out a new ballot every two weeks.
The first one says, "Vote for the best book you read over the summer." I
plan on displaying all the books that get votes (at least those we have in
our library). Other voting ideas will be, "Vote for your favorite mystery"
and then after the votes are counted, I'll display those. It's actually more
like a poll than a vote. We're allowing everyone to vote once per issue. In
addition, if a student writes a book review of something he/she reads, I'll
take their picture holding the book and have a digital picture frame that
I'll load their pictures into. That way it's a visual source of book
recommendations for everyone to see.

Have fun~

Roseann Ogas

Substitute Teacher