Hi Jim,

I'm pretty sure that the function you need is "COUNTIF."  It basically
counts things in a range of cells if a cell contains certain data
specified by you.  Here's the syntax:

=COUNTIF(A2:A14,"yes")

Where the A2:A14 part is the range of cells in which you want to count
the yeses and noes.  The quotations do need to be there, as they tell
Excel that you're dealing with text.  Capitalization shouldn't matter,
though.

I hope that helps!

Cheers!
Buzzy Nielsen