hi,

A number of people responded with information and requests for a hit.  I hope I
responded and thanked everyone who helped me.  But I want to say thanks to you all
again.  I am now organizing my information to fit into the guidelines the school
has given me.  I was just told this week that I will be grading under the same
categories as the other specials, which they have changed this year into
"understands and applies concepts," "uses materials and equipment responsibly," and
"follows classroom procedures."

Again thanks to everyone who responded.  I thank you all for your time and effort.
What follows is my original target and most of the replies.
Susanne Sharkey
SLMS
OWNCS, Astoria
pegisuss4@live.com
Target:
My principal just informed me, yesterday,
that I will have to start giving grades this year in Library.
This is my second year here at the school.
He said to have 2 or 3 specific to the library that I should grade on.
I have been trying to figure out what two or three things to grade on
and have checked the archives.  I thought of participation and Library skills,
 but I am not sure if that would be too broad or narrow.

Would those that grade in library please advise me what they actually give
grades on?  Also if there are any rubrics that you might have,
 would you send that also?  I greatly appreciate anything and
any advise you might have. (Grades K-8)

You could do "listens attentively"  "appropriate library behavior".
 For third, fourth and fifth grades I  give written work and base
 the grades on that work.

Is it possible to grade- satisfactory, unsatisfactory and needs improvement-
 library skills, participation and conduct.

I also have to give grades, but only for 3rd and up.  Our
kids have discipline sheets that are signed in cases of misbehavior then sent
back to the classroom and ultimately home for parent signatures.  At first
I thought that basing my grades partially on behavior was sort of "double
jeopardy" since I had that sheet, but I now think of it as an overall
reflection of their time in my class.  So, when I give grades, I take into
account the level of effort and participation and consider the number of times
I've signed their sheet. On occasion, they do get grades on an assignment.
 Assuming excellence in effort and participation, two signatures will lower
their grades one level (they have misbehaved on 1/3 of their visits to me) from
an E to an S.  (I'm really pretty easy on them!)

In my district we started giving library grades last year to K-5
students.  The system we developed is to have a two-part grade, one for
academics and one for "effort" (also known as behavior).  For the
academic part, we rate students on a scale from 1 to 4:  1=not
progressing, 2=progressing with support, 3=progressing adequately,
4=progressing beyond expectations.  For behavior the scale went U=very
poor, S-=poor, S=satisfactory, S+=excellent.  Each student was given a
two-part grade, i.e. "S3."  I had a class list for every classroom and
just jotted down each student's grade next to his/her name, then gave
to the classroom teacher to add to the report cards.
We only do grades twice a year, at the second & fourth quarters;
for the first & third quarters we issue "progress reports," which
serve as notices for students who are struggling and a poor grade is
anticipated OR to acknowledge students who are doing above average work
or have excellent behavior, so not everybody gets one (cuts down on
paperwork & time).  The way I keep track is I have a grade book
with one page for each class.  Next to each student's name I have a row
labeled "A" for academics and "B" for behavior.  After each library
class I just put a + or a - next to the names of the kids who did
"good" or "bad" in either area.  For children who are absent or did
fine I don't write anything.  Then at grading time I just look through
the list to see if anyone has more than a couple plusses or minuses and
adjust their grade accordingly.  For example, say everyone starts with
an S3.  If I notice in my book that a student struggled with a few
assignments, I would mark them down to an S2.  Or if there is someone
who was always super helpful, I would bump them up to an S+3.  We also
put together a very simple rubric that we pass along to parents to
explain what the various numbers & letters mean;  it's nice because
all the "special" teachers use the same scales so it's less for them to
have to figure out.  I hope that's a clear explanation;  feel free to
respond if you need more info!

> In our elementary, our students are given plus or minus on their grade
> card for special classes.

I worked in a K-5 Library for 8 years and I had to give grades as well.
I found that I didn't mind doing it as it "showed" that I was doing a
good job, I had a list of topics I had taught and it made library time
more meaningful for the kids when they knew they were being graded. I
gave grades on projects that we completed based on the state standards
that we covered through media skills. I used a lot of rubrics, group
projects, some worksheets and lots of games. All of the things I taught
to the students were related to something they were already doing in the
classroom. The topics I taught expanded their knowledge of what their
teacher was teaching. Collaboration with the teacher is very important.
Best of luck to you!

When I had to give grades I usually had one for performance assessment for
locating fiction, locating nonfiction, and sometimes the computerized card
catalog. But the card catalog usually had a worksheet for them to fill in
the answer about a certain book, or type of book. We finally got it so it
was part of their language arts grade

The above link is found at the link below in case it doesn't work.

http://school.discovery.com/schrockguide/assess.html

   Library Media Center Rubric
   Library Media Program Rubric

http://rubistar.4teachers.org/index.php

Hi,

I have to do this so I now teach how to do Booktalks to kids grades 3-5,
video tape and grade.  Kids enjoy, it is fun to do and they learn some great
presentation skills.  I have some basic worksheets to walk them through it
and demo many times and have all kinds of activities that support this.

I also found some location and access type worksheets that I use as tests
and created my own based on instruction in the library.  I give and then
re-give the same tests until kids can do well and understand what they are
doing.

Hope this helps.  I do not have to have things to grade as the district is
wishy-washy re how to do this BUT I feel much safer having something
concrete.

Hope this helps.

I have been giving grades in our library for nine years. We are a
K-8; students in grades 3-8 receive grades. Prior to this year, 3-4
received E,S,N.or U and 5-8 received numerical grades. This year 3-6
will receive E,S,N,U. This is because their schedule has gone from an
hour to 30 minutes a week. 7/8 have library for an hour a week and will
receive numerical grades.  Our libraries have a curriculum in place that supports
the
skills taught in the classroom with library skills added on. I don't
introduce skills; I support what has been taught in the classroom. Each
year I develop a curriculum map that reflects what each grade will
cover during which six week period. Grades may be based on projects,
reading assignments, classwork, or observation.  Is it easy, no.
 To those people who think the librarian"doesn't
do anything" this shows that I do(I knew that all along!); furthermore,
subs, parents, are now amazed at what the library program has evolved
into. I still have RIF, bookfairs, and fun with books. I just juggle time
to fit "important stuff" into our limited time.