Boy, howdy - does your message resonate with me!  Last year I got stuck with
over 20 kids for study hall.   They hardly ever worked, some were loud and
obnoxious, some brought food in...it was a disaster!   I "inherited" some
from the former media assistant (I started a month late into the year) and
some I just got forced on me.  The counselors who assigned the kids got an
earful from me, so this year they let me set the limits, and all kids had to
have a written note from me before they could be assigned to the library.

I handpicked who could be in my study hall; none of the troublemakers from
last year, of course!   I also kept the list to 7 or fewer per period.  I
made sure if they were kids I knew I could trust to work for me that I got
them signed on as either Techs or Aides.   It's working really well so far!

I still have kids who are in independent study who show up, but they are not
problems.   My biggest problem are the off-campus kids who show up at the
end of the day; first week it was around 35 kids.   This week I plan on
asking any who stay in the library who aren't assigned to me for study hall
to sign an "off campus" agreement.  I can email this to anyone who needs it,
if you email me at work (where my file is.)  I also have tech & aide
agreement forms I have them sign, it just lets them know expectations and
rules.  I have GREAT tech aides this year, what a Godsend they are!

I don't like the idea of making the off campus kids leave - I know (from my
own past!) that they often don't come back for classes later in the day.

One thing I'm hoping to institute this year is a student-run production
center.   This would keep responsible kids who have unassigned periods busy
in the copy and laminating room that adjoins our library.  It would also
help with the frantic teacher copy wars!   I'd love to hear from any of you
who have experience in doing the student-run production center.

Take care,
Liz

Elizabeth Fox, Media Assistant
Newport High School, Newport, OR