Thanks to  those of you who responded and to the others who are in my situation.
Of the six or so reponses that I received , the majority liked /loved World Books'
Student Discovery set for use with this age.
One person liked DK First Ency. with 1st, DK First Animal Ency. with 2nd, and
Britannica Student Ency. with 3rd grade.
Another liked Heineman First Ency. and Ency. Britannica.
    I liked the looks of WB in the catalog before I posed the question so I think I
am going with that.

Gail Wood
Librarian
East Side Elementary