Hello!

If I had a feature on my school website to promote particular titles, can I include
an excerpt from the book as long as I cite where the excerpt came from?

To be more specific I want to have a Spotlight On... feature.  Here is the first
one I created (on my site it would be followed by a listing of all David Lubar
books in my library). By using the excerpt from David Lubar's book am I breaking
any laws, copyright or otherwise?

SPOTLIGHT ON...

DAVID LUBAR

I admit I've only read one David Lubar book so far, but soon after starting
Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie I realized I had a great read in my hands. As I took
the journey with Scott Hudson as he navigated his first year of high school, I
became charmed by his ability to find humor in even the most horrifying situations.
Scott encounters many different challenges during his freshmen year; from dealing
with a crush, and losing and gaining friends, to an unexpected addition to his
family and balancing his school work with extracurricular activities.

What I enjoyed most about this book were the lists Scott liked to create to help
deal with various situations. As this is the beginning of the school year I thought
I'd share "Scott Hudson's High School Survival Tips" which were printed in the
front of the book as the teaser to get you hooked. Hopefully it works and next time
you are in the library you will check this out, as well as other fabulous reads by
David Lubar.

 "Scott Hudson's High School Survival Tips

Keep away from seniors.

Keep away from juniors.

It's probably a good idea to avoid sophomores, too, since most of them seem to want
revenge for what happened when they were freshmen.

Don't ever kneel. Especially if there are big kids around.

Never wear a dorky hat. Especially if there are big kids around.

Don't carry your books under your arm in a crowded hall.

Try to avoid the bus, even if it means catching a ride from a stranger with a chain
saw.

If you're friends with a girl in kindergarten, try to stay friends with her when
you get older because otherwise she might forget she never knew you, and she might
get so drop-dead gorgeous you don't have the guts to remind her that you once
shared a pack of peanut-butter crackers.

If you're going to break something, a nose is probably better than an arm, since it
heals faster and it makes you look tough."
(Copied from: Lubar, David. Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie. New York: Penguin Group,
2005.)

Thanks,

Heidi Kirchmeyer
Librarian
Bisbee High School
Bisbee, AZ
deekaye31@hotmail.com

See how Windows connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your
life.