Hi all,

I am presenting to the Internet Safety Technical Task Force that is hosted
by the Berkman Center for Internet and Society.
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/research/isttf. This is a task force that was
established under an agreement by this nation's attorneys general with
MySpace.
http://www.naag.org/attorneys_general_announce_agreement_with_myspace_regard
ing_social_networking_safety.php

The focus of this task force is on technical solutions. The AGs want social
networking sites to implement age and identity verification. I am really
hoping this task force has the strength to tell the AGs that this concern is
a human behavior concern and cannot be resolved with a technical solution.

What I am going to set forth is a proposal for a solution that recognizes
that youth risk online is simply an extension of youth risk. And it is
essential that we approach these concerns using the approaches that have
been established to address youth risk. What I will advocate is the
establishment of a youth risk online group at the state level that will
include the department of education safe schools (they understand youth
risk) and educational technology staff (they understand Internet issues),
the department of mental heath (youth risk), and two divisions from the
departments of justice, the juvenile justice (youth risk) and Internet crime
(Internet issues).

I think it is really important in schools to also build a bridge between
safe schools and educational technology. Te key issue that appears to be
bringing folks somewhat together on this is the concern of cyberbullying. I
am working on materials that will help to explain what needs to happen in
this coordination. But I admit to being overwhelmed with all that I am
trying to do right now.

Nancy

--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of Online Social
Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)