Hi Everyone--

I just looked at my calendar and Good Grief, it's only 5 weeks until
my very very fun all-day workshop in central New Jersey,
Once Upon a Time: Storytelling, Creative Drama, and Reader's Theater
for Grades PreK-6, sponsored by my wonderful publisher, Libraries Unlimited.
(Go to http://lu.com/onceupon/ for the flyer and registration form.)
Please please please tell the teachers you know & love about it--they won't
know a thing unless they're already on our Winners mailing list.
We need a big enough crowd for the workshop to run and for LU to keep
sponsoring days like this.

I LOVE doing this workshop--we just fool around with books and stories
and poems and songs and jokes and props and puppets and fall over laughing
and have a blast from 8:30-3. Oh, wait, I forgot. We're not allowed to
"have a blast" with stories. We need to be able to test and measure our
outcome goals, right? What WAS I thinking? OK, let's start over.

On October 17, 2008, at the beautiful Pines Manor in Edison, NJ,
where the lunch is downright delicious, and the desserts are oh la la . . .
No. That's not right, either. You're not supposed to go to a workshop just
because the food is really really good. Let's try again. Get serious, Judy!

At Judy Freeman's upcoming Once Upon a Time Workshop, librarians and
teachers will learn how to tell stories to ensure their students are
proficient
listeners, recall story sequence though acting out stories, practice their
fluency and comprehension skills with Reader's Theater scripts, and identify
common characteristics of fairy tales, because, geez Louise, you'll never
be able to finish the New York Times daily crossword puzzle if you don't
know your nursery rhymes and fairy tales, and how can you even get through
life without them? . . . Oh, dear. No, that's not quite proper jargon,
either,
although it's so so true about the crossword puzzles and life.

I'll tell you what--you, who are so skilled at writing educational jargon and
behavioral objectives that you can make all the delicious and delightful
lessons
you do with your kids sound serious enough to pass muster with the worksheet
and drill and kill police, come up with your own best jargon to justify this
conference with your administrators. Here's something to think about,
in the meantime. Why are the Finns number 1 in children's literacy worldwide?
Because they READ to their kids, they TELL them stories, and they TAKE them
to the library. They're my kind of people. So we'll be telling and acting out
lots of stories, singing songs, reciting poems, and generally having a mental
health
day to get our literary priorities straight. If you need a little
straightening, or
you've always wanted to tell stories but thought it was too hard, think about
joining us. I can promise you joy and companionship with other like-minded
book people. And maybe some chocolate.

If you live in the wilds of Texas or somewhere even farther away and you
think it's a bit over the top to drive to scenic New Jersey for a one-day
workshop (which is located a whole TWO MILES from my house, lucky me),
you can still buy a copy of the spiffy conference handbook, Once Upon a Time,
from LU (or your book jobber), since it contains almost all the schtick we'll
be
doing (10 of my best easy-to-tell stories, 20 silly songs with music—all my
faves
to do with kids when you need a read-today-tell-tomorrow lesson, fast),
and lots more. You get the book free if you come to the program, along
with that very good lunch I think I might've mentioned. If you know anyone
who came to last year's workshop, ask them--they'll tell you good things, I
hope.

Judy

Judy Freeman
Children's Literature Consultant
Author of Books Kids Will Sit Still For 3
(Libraries Unlimited, 2006; www.LU.com)
and Once Upon a Time:
Using Storytelling, Creative Drama, and
Reader's Theater with Children in Grades K-6 (2007)
65 North Sixth Avenue
Highland Park, NJ 08904
732-572-5634 / BKWSSF@aol.com
www.JudyReadsBooks.com

Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog,