I got so many good ideas to pass along to my friend with the 5th grade reader.  I
know he will find some new interests from the list.  Here are the results:
Thanks again to those who responded...

I just finished reading "The Mysterious Benedict Society" in preparation for giving
it to one of my high level 5th graders to read.  It goes kind of along the hero
theme, but regular kids are the heroes. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the
story and there is a continuation of the story. Also "The looking Glass Wars" was
good too. Hope this helps.
---
Perhaps he would like heroes who are kids:
Anthony Horowitz's Alex Rider Series (my 5th grade boys' favorite)
Ally Carter's I'd tell you that I love you but then I'd have to kill you,
and its sequel
Christopher Paolini's Eragon, et al.
Cornelia Funke's Inkheart, et al.
---
He may well enjoy the Bones graphic novel series. I can't keep them on the shelf
and I've two complete sets!
---
Books by Jerry Spinelli or Andrew Clements were some of my son's favorite authors
last year when he was in 5th grade. They have a lot of humor in them and material
most kids can relate to. I'm not sure what reading level they are -  not overly
challenging, but enough "meat" to them to not be "babyish". He went through several
of them when we wanted to take a break from higher reading levels/longer books,
etc. Several of the 5th grade students are interested in Joey Pigza books (main
character) too. I am a new librarian to the profession and to the school I'm at, so
I can't recall any others at the moment, but hope this will get you started. We are
boarding up for Ike, so if all goes well, I'll try to remember to get back with you
if you haven't received other ideas.
---
My just past fifth grade above level son who loves to read ate up the following:
Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan
The Warriors series by Erin Hunter
Redwall series by Brian Jacaues
Fable Haven series by Brandon Mull
Hopes these work for your young friend.
---
My son loves the Lightning Thief books by Rick Riordan  http://www.rickriordan.com/

Also the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan
http://www.rangersapprentice.com/

Other books that are popular in my library are the Levin Thumbs  books by Obert
Skye.  I have not read them, but the author was at the school last year and the
kids loved it an always want the books.  (I was at a different school last year).
---
My son loves the Lightning Thief books by Rick Riordan  http://www.rickriordan.com/
Also the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan
http://www.rangersapprentice.com/
Other books that are popular in my library are the Levin Thumbs  books by Obert
Skye.  I have not read them, but the author was at the school last year and the
kids loved it an always want the books.  (I was at a different school last year).
---
The stte awards book lists usually have titles that capture the interest.  Warriors
and Seekers series are big here right now.
---
The  Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan.
---
Has he read "The Lightning Thief" or the Alex Rider series. I can't keep them on my
shelves here
---
Toni- some mysteries- Nero Wolfe and The cat who series are not full of graphic sex
or violence- any of that type of book from before the late 60s are good reading,
entertaining and safer for the young reader. bbrown@altonschools.org
---
Percy Jackson & the Olympians series is wonderful!  I love them!
---
Redwall series by Brian Jacques
Anything by Jack London
Shadow children series by Haddix
Enders Game by Scott Orson Card
James Patterson books
---
Hi Toni,
Everyone should read "My Side of the Mountain" by Jean Craighead George.
Also, we have a number of 5th grade boys interested in the Artemis Fowl
series, and I've gotten several to read "The Phantom Tollbooth" by
Norton Juster.  I've also gotten my animal lovers to read James Herriot,
with very positive feed-back.
---
Has he read Rick Riordan's books?  They would fit with the superhero
idea -- Greek mythology brought to the 21st century.
---
I think the Maximum Ride Books (series) by James Patterson are great.
---
On their web site, Perma-Bound has all the state lists of books.  For instance, our
Bluebonnet book list is for grades 3-6.  There are some dynamite titles on it.  You
might want to check those out.
---
Rick Riordan
Alex Horowitz
Andrew Clements
---
http://www.txla.org/html/reading.html try the Lone Star list if he is
above grade level, there are still some books on the Bluebonnet list
that he may really love.

----
Toni Koontz
Librarian