Wow!  I got an overwhelming number of responses about creating an
"easy" NF section in my library.  Thank you all so much for your
help!  I promised I would post a HIT. . . . .

Kate Tamms
Gary D. Wright Elementary
Hampshire, IL 60140
ktamms@foxvalley.net

My original post:

Now I'm curious to know how many of you divide your Non-Fiction to
create a section of Easy/Everybody NF books. Someone gave me this
idea, which I thought was a good one.  This will be the first year
that we allow kindergartners to pull their own books from the
shelves.  Our low shelves stretch the entire width of the library,
beneath the long bank of windows. This will make it easy to point out
to the K'gartners that those shelves are for them.  But I know there
will be many who will want the dog, dino, sports, etc. books, so it
seems like a good idea to supply them with the easier non-fiction to
browse through.  Any thoughts/advice?  I'd like to hear if this has
worked for anyone else, and how you indicated the sublocation on the
spines and in the OPAC.

  I have an easy non-fiction section for K through 3. They are shelved
separately and have a see-through yellow spine label taped over the
spine
label. Grades 1 through 3 are also permitted to check out from the
"regular"
non-fiction section, but having the easy non-fiction is plus because it
keeps the really easy readers accessible for younger students. And I
also
don't have to listen to the older students (we go to grade 8)
complaining
that all we have are books for the little ones.

One library I was in had done this so I continued. We just had an "E"
above the call number - so there were 3 lines:

636.7
BLI

I thought it worked well, but older readers avoided the area as too
young - even if that is where their reading level was.
When I moved, the incoming librarian got rid of that arrangement and
my new location does not have it. I don't miss it so
I'm not sure what that relays.

I inherited a library that has two non-fiction sections.  The lower
level books have a little "non-fiction" sticker, the others just have
the regular spine label.  The big problem is the previous library tech
didn't differentiate in the catalog!  I know the collection well, and
can usually tell which books are where, but it makes it hard for the
kids using the OPAC.  But it is wonderful to have two sections.  My
"everybody" nonfiction is on lower shelves, too, and it makes it so
much easier for the little kids to reach anything they want.

But if I were doing this from scratch, I'd be sure to use the sub-
location field.  I've even thought of using a "J" before the number
like our public library does.  The sticker helps when I have a
volunteer doing shelving, but the big issue is the cataloguing.

I decided to do this and spent all last week pulling them from the
shelves. I am labeling them E and the Dewey call number.   Our OPAC is
new and isn't available yet so I don't know how I will indicate it
there. Hope this helps.

My library is on two floors and when I came her 7 years ago, it was
the policy that students couldn't go upstairs until they were in grade
3. All of the nonfiction was upstairs which meant that there were many
books not being read (too young for the 4-8s, and not accessible to
the P-2s.). It took me the better part of a year (as my special
project) to go through every nonfiction book and decide whether it
should stay upstairs or go down.

It has been a great success. P-2 love reading (and can easily find)
nonfiction and resource teachers/gr. 4-8 teachers can quickly find
nonfiction books written at a lower level for special needs students.

Since everyone already knew what E meant on fiction, I just put an E
above the Dewey number on the books and in the OPAC. I also added the
subject heading Everyone Nonfiction to the list of subjects for each
of these books so searches could be done.

I have an Easy Nonfiction section and the kids love it.  It consists
of nonfiction books for K-2 students and it is almost empty every
week!  To make sure that the kids know it's the non-fiction section, I
put yellow labels on the spine labels to make it stand out even more.
It's a great visual clue for sure!  I think it would be a great idea
for you to pull some easy nonfiction books!

I have 3 main sections in my library -- E (picture books), F (chapter
books), and nonfiction.  With my kindergarten students, I begin by
pulling books for them to select from (at least double the amount of
kids).  We practice looking at the books, turning pages and being
respectful to the books for about the first 3 weeks.  While they are
looking at the books, I talk to them about selecting a book to
checkout.  Then, I introduce the idea of using their think sticks.
For this, I still pull books and we practice putting the stick by a
book, picking the book up, looking at the book and then returning it
to their stick.  Some classes understand this concept after the first
introduction and some take a couple of weeks.  Next, I open up the
shelves -- starting with just the shelves around my story area.
Again, we practice putting the stick in, taking the book out, looking
at the book and then returning the book.  All through this practice of
using the think sticks I stress that they are looking for a book to
checkout and they are looking for books with good pictures to look at
(because most haven't started reading yet).  By the time I open up all
of the picture book and nonfiction shelves, they do a pretty good job
of selecting some "just right" books.  Of course, before I open up the
nonfiction we talk about the difference between the stories and
information.
When you start making separate sections for all of your different
users, the students automatically want to checkout from "the
forbidden" areas.  When you "no" you can't checkout "those" books, the
patron gets a negative view of the library.  I prefer to teach
selection rather than create these "forbidden" areas.

I started an easy nonfiction section in my library about 3 years ago.
It was a huge hit with the kinder and 1st grade students and their
teachers! I started by pulling books from the regular nonfiction
section that met the criteria I had established for the books I wanted
in this section. I then began to add books to this section every year.
I don't know how many volumes we have right now, but I do know at the
end of last year we were shocked to discover we could no longer shelve
them in the area that we had been using because it had grown too large
- a fact we hadn't really been aware of since so many of those books
are always checked out!

This year I plan to place a transparent colored spine label color on
the spine labels to help my volunteers get them shelved in the right
place. We tend to find quite of few of them mixed in with the regular
nonfiction books.

I say -  go for it! Your youngest readers will love you for it.

I had an easy non-fiction at the first school I worked at, and after
about 6
months I merged it into one non-fiction section.  Couple of reasons:
1.) I had
students at all kinds of reading levels in each grade level.  The older
students who may not read well, would not go to the easy non-fiction
as that
sound too young to them.  I had younger students who might have been
reading
better, but then had teachers who wouldn't want them venturing out of
the Easy
NF.  2.) I had a finite amount of money, and so sometimes I couldn't
afford
materials for both sections on a topic.  Putting them in one place
gave me a
more balanced collection for all.  3.) Even younger readers can begin
to use
the pictures to become enthralled with books and reading, so even
though they
can't read the entire book...they can still get something out of
it....the love
and joy of checking out a book they want.  4.) Where do you draw the
line?  How
do you decide what is an Easy NF and what is a Regular NF.  5.) Before
me they
hadn't marked them in the catalog, so I was constantly looking two
places.  SO,
after six months I said enough and merged them into on section.  It
really
seemed to work much better for us.  Hope that helps! :)

We tag our non-fiction easy readers with a piece of yellow tape on the
spine so they're easy to find at a glance.  That way all our
non-fiction is shelved together, but the easy readers can be spotted
at a glance.  It's a nice way to help less-able older readers, too,
because I can say, "Here's a great book on wolves!" and pull out the
easier one, without going to a different shelf everybody knows is for
the "little kids."

We do an Everybody Nonfiction at my schools. We just put E in front of
the number in the catalogue and the spine label. It does help for the
little ones to get a easy NF book they can actually read.

  We have a section that is called our "Blue Dot" section. This is our
Easy (Everybody) NF.  We still shelve according to Dewey with regular
spine labels and use appropiate labels such as dogs, cats, dinos,
etc.  We also put a big blue dot spine label on them.  Thay way it is
easy for our K -2 students to recognize these books.  These books are
shelved right before our "regular" nonfiction.  I hope this info helps.

I help retain my sanity, I pull two shelves (one NF, one F) for
kinders.  Our library has colored dots denoting reading level on most
books.  We try to have our students get one "just right" book and then
one that they are interested in regardless of reading level.  I would
not want the nightmare of trying to keep E NF separate.  Not to
mention older students that may need "baby" books.

I have put easy non-fiction in the Everybody section.  And note it in
the database as :E 741 B, just like a fiction book E B or E Bre.  I
speak to all students about what the numbers  mean and that the book
is a non fiction book in the Everybody section on the B shelf.  They
have no problem understanding.  K’s take from this section, but it is,
of course for everyone in the school – picture books are here.  I
think I have put mostly k, 1 and 2 non fiction reading levels in that
section, for ease for students and us.

My library is like that.  I'd never heard of it before starting here,
but I like it.  In the catalog, it has an E then the call #, like "E 599
How."  I've got pictures or stuffed animals next to certain sections of
books (A dog beside the dog books, pictures of stars near the space
books, etc.)

n my present school kids check out from all over except kinder.  Their
teachers want them to stay in the early section.  I've not done it here
but in my old school I had a few shelves labeled ENF for Early
Non-fiction.  Most of these were 1st grade level books that were the
"real" thing and the kids loved them.  I put a colored label on the
spine to indicate that it was ENF and had that marked in the catalog.
It was a small school and it worked just fine.

I am at a K-7 school and I divided the books into two sections (both fic
and nonf) when I came here in 1996. I have a section for Everybody and a
section for the older students. K-3 always check out from the Everybody
section; 4th starts checking one book out from this section either at
the
end of first semester or beginning of 2nd and one book from Everybody
section; 5th checks one from each section; 6th-7th can check their two
from anywhere. I believe by doing it this way students will be getting
books on their level as well as books that interest them. Hope this
helps.

Kathryn, I have a pre-k through 12 library.  My non-fiction is divided
into k-6 and 7-12.  I am seriously considering combining all non-
fictio into one section.  My reasoning is that older students do not
want to be seen getting books from a younger section.  The books in my
HS section are rarely used and there are titles that could benefit
all.  When I first came here we did have an Easy non-fiction section
for k-1st.  I had the same problem--older elementary students did not
want to check out books from that section even though that was were
the books they needed were.  It also took extra time that I did not
have to separate those books and shelve them.  I combined them the
second year I was here.  You might need to lable shelves as dog
(pictures help with Kind.) dino, ect.  My biggest areas are dinosaurs
and snakes.  Hope this helps.

I allow Kinders to select 1 book (of 2 they check out) from the
regular Dewey shelves.  they start this in Nov. or Dec.  Prior to that
I may spread out a selection on a table for them.  Most kids will
select something appropriate.  I can give a little guidance.  And, for
some students taking a book that seems way beyond them is
appropriate.  For instance I have a youngster who always took one of
our "army" books about tanks, fighter jets etc. etc.  His Dad is
career military and this was a perfect time for Dad and son to spend
some quality time over a book.  We've had similar situations with
Nascar racing, certain horse breeds, dog breeds etc.

I had a small easy nonfiction area last yearit worked well, and I'm
now adding to it. You're right, regardless of age, they all want the
animal, dino and I spy books.  Better to get them books on their
reading level.
The school where I taught for the past 10 years had an Easy Nonfiction
section.  The school I am at this year does not.  I would like to
reorganize the books so that we do have one.  It makes it much easier
for the lower grades to find a book they can actually read about their
chosen topic.  The last school just added an E in front of the call
number so they would be easy to shelve or find.