Hi Marcia,
I recently encountered a somewhat similar problem when my university started
updated to Office 2007. This caused me to do some deep searching and I
encountered what Microsoft calls its Compatibility Pack. Basically it's a
software download that enables users of 2003 to be able to read 2007
documents and also create documents with their software that 2007 will read.

The url for the dowload is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923505.
It's free, I've tried it, and it works.
Hope this helps.
Jim Lerman

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 3:43 PM, MARCIA MCCARTHY <MMCCARTH@bcs1.org> wrote:

> This morning a new math teacher in my building was expressing his
> frustration with the fact that our district has updated to MS Office 2007.
> His worksheets with math equations developed in MS WORD 2003, all need to
> be edited when opened in MS WORD 2007.
> Since our district often posts worksheets on the web for parents/students
> to access, he feels a need to keep these in 97-2003 format (since many of
> our families don't have 2007 version yet).
> The frustration occurs because any time they move from one version to
> another the equations need editing.
> Does anyone out there know a relatively simple way to address this problem?
> TIA for your help.
> Marcia McCarthy
> LMS
> A.D. Oliver Middle School
> Brockport, NY
> mmccarth@bcs1.org

>  You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>  by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
>  3) SET LM_NET MAIL  4) SET LM_NET DIGEST  * Allow for confirmation.
>  * LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
>  * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>  * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm-net.info/
>  * LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html
>  * LM_NET Wiki: http://lmnet.wikispaces.com/

James Lerman
Coordinator
New Jersey Consortium for Middle Schools
447 Hennings Hall
Kean University
Union, NJ 07083
Tel 908-737-3761