I don't have a Tech Club, per se...our school does run a FIRST Robotics club
(I'm not the advisor, but my son is in it...you can see their video at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh-g8PaUX7k  - and YES, my library got used
for robotics practice, you can see it in the video.)  I do have 9 (!!!) tech
aides, though, and they do exactly what you describe: maintain the school
computers and AV equipment.   I'm glad you posted this, because I hadn't
given a thought to telling them they need to track hours for community
service.  They do get a letter grade in my "class," however, nearly always
an A.  AND I tell them I will write them a letter of recommendation for jobs
or college...provided they uphold the conditions of their aide agreement.
The agreement is necessary, because they are privy to lots of info and have
access to keys that other students don't.  They understand when they sign
this that I'm putting a lot of trust in them.

In order for a kid to be a tech they have to 1. Come to me and ask if it's
OK, and 2. Have the counselor actually schedule them in the library.  It's a
working study hall, basically.

The kids have come up with a lot of great ideas on how to manage our tech
services.  One thing we have is a Tech Request form that we either have
teachers fill out, or we fill out when we get a call on the phone.   It has
areas where the teacher fills out what the problem is, what they've done to
try to solve it (gently reminding them to try a RESTART), etc.  We keep
these in a big notebook that the kids check when they start their tech duty,
so they can see what is on for that period.  Ongoing, overall projects not
associated with a teacher or specific computer are written on a white board
(like "clean up the piles of cables in the back room.")

This year we were lucky to get a HUGE tech grant and bought 2 "carts," each
holding 20 laptops.   The techs are now not only maintaining these carts,
but also taking them to the classrooms, setting them up for the teachers,
helping check the laptops out, and monitoring the class while they are in
use.  That has given them more pleasure than any other tech duty, because
they are "in charge" and the teachers really appreciate their supervisory
help, it's hard to monitor a class of 40+ kids.

Hope this helps,
Liz

Elizabeth Fox, Media Assistant
Newport High School, Newport, OR