Hi everyone,
I've just started working at a great elementary school after two years in a high
school.  It is a low income school with lots of low level readers...we are in our
third year of Reading First.  For the most part the students enjoy library time and
are enthusiastic or at least patient about reading.  They get a lot of instruction
on the mechanics of reading and writing and comprehension, so I'm focusing on
cultivating a LOVE of reading.

My challenge seem to be getting students to self-select books that are appropriate,
and I don't mean the five finger rule.  I mean, they aren't finding books that are
not only at their reading level but also at their interest level.  For example, the
girls love Junie B., the boys want Star Wars and Goosebumps.  They want TV
characters---Hannah Montana and superheroes.  I would like to see them exploring
the incredible breadth of our collection and I KNOW there are books there they
would like...if they could just get past what is familiar and be a little braver.

They do like read-alouds and enjoy picture books, and they know their genres.  They
do NOT like book talks, and unfortunately this is my weak area...my own 6th grade
daughter reads far above grade level and I have not read nearly as many of these
chapter books as I should.  It seems that reading aloud from a different chapter
book each week would be a very slow way indeed to introduce them to new characters
and series.

Does anyone have any great activities that will lead them to a greater number of
diverse books any faster than one per week?  And let them believe it was their idea
and not mine?

Susan Waring
Charles F. Johnson Elementary
Endicott, NY