Friends - I was asked to forward this to LM_NET by a friend who sits on
the OCLC Board.

~ VAN

Diane Van Gorden, Librarian

Baker High School

Baker Middle School

PO Box 659

Baker, MT  59313-0659

voice 406-778-3329

fax 406-778-2785

email: vangordend @ baker.k12.mt.us

books.  cats.  quilts.  life is good!

 March 26, 2009

Dear Colleague:

As chair of the OCLC Review Board of Shared Data Creation and
Stewardship, I invite you to participate in a Web-based survey among
librarians and other interested constituents. The primary goal of this
survey is to gather input from both OCLC members and non-members about a
proposed OCLC policy, Policy for Use and Transfer of WorldCat(r)
Records.

The Review Board will consider the results of this survey in its
recommendations to OCLC.

Please review the existing guidelines and proposed policy if you have
not already done so:

*    Guidelines:
<http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/worldcat/records/guidelines/d
efault.htm
<http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/worldcat/records/guidelines/d
efault.htm> >
http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/worldcat/records/guidelines/de
fault.htm
<http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/worldcat/records/guidelines/d
efault.htm>

*    Proposed Policy:
<http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/catalog/policy/recordusepolicy.pdf
<http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/catalog/policy/recordusepolicy.pdf> >
http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/catalog/policy/recordusepolicy.pdf
<http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/catalog/policy/recordusepolicy.pdf>

The OCLC Review Board is an independent committee convened by the OCLC
Board of Trustees and the OCLC Members Council. If you wish to find out
more about the Review Board, please visit these links:

*    OCLC Review Board:
<http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/catalog/policy/board/default.htm
<http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/catalog/policy/board/default.htm> >
http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/catalog/policy/board/default.htm
<http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/catalog/policy/board/default.htm>

*    Press release - formation of Review Board:
<http://www.oclc.org/us/en/news/releases/20092.htm
<http://www.oclc.org/us/en/news/releases/20092.htm> >
http://www.oclc.org/us/en/news/releases/20092.htm
<http://www.oclc.org/us/en/news/releases/20092.htm>

*    Press release - Review Board members:
<http://www.oclc.org/us/en/news/releases/200910.htm
<http://www.oclc.org/us/en/news/releases/200910.htm> >
http://www.oclc.org/us/en/news/releases/200910.htm
<http://www.oclc.org/us/en/news/releases/200910.htm>

The survey is available online at the following site, where you will
find specific instructions on completing the survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=c0hILWPafv97EDbNiRXXjg_3d_3d
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=c0hILWPafv97EDbNiRXXjg_3d_3d>

I invite you to complete this survey yourself or forward it to a
colleague with an interest in this issue. Your opinions and comments are
vital to our evaluation, regardless of your current level of usage of
OCLC services or your relationship to OCLC.

Please complete the questionnaire online by April 8, 2009. To protect
the confidentiality of your responses, all data will be collected,
tabulated, and analyzed by Linray, an independent market research
consultant. We will receive data in aggregate form only; your answers
will not be associated in any way with you or your organization.

If you have questions about the content of the survey, please send an
e-mail to reviewboard@oclc.org. As an alternative to the survey, we
welcome your feedback by sending an e-mail to reviewboard@oclc.org or
posting comments at http://community.oclc.org/reviewboard/
<http://community.oclc.org/reviewboard/> . Please feel free to provide
input in the language of your choice.

Thank you for your participation in this survey.

Sincerely,

Jennifer A. Younger

Chair, OCLC Review Board of Shared Data Creation and Stewardship

Director, Hesburgh Libraries

University of Notre Dame