Thanks for the opinions offered. The teacher has decided this books fits
with an older grade rather than her 4th grade. In fact the she is donating
the book to our middle school library. Thanks to all who offered advice on
whether the book Hurt Go Happy, would make a good read-aloud for a fourth
grader classroom.

I did have a request for a hit. Responses are listed below:

There are some pretty heavy topics in *Hurt, Go Happy*:

   - The main character is deaf resulting from child abuse.
   - The animals are severely mistreated at a research facility.
   - The mother of the deaf child refused to let her learn sign language
   because she is afraid of the deaf stigma.

Personally, I would not want to tackle those issues with fourth graders.

I read the book when it first came out and enjoyed it.  I have book talked
it to my 6th to 8th graders.  Many have read it and enjoyed it.
I would not use it as a read aloud to 4th graders.  I don't feel that all
4th graders would enjoy and might be upset.  Isn't there a book about caring
for animals or deafness for this age group

I read this book along with my granddaughter when she was in 5th grade.  She
was reading it for a book report and was making an oral presentation so I
was reading it in order to help her.  This is strictly a personal opinion
since I have never worked with that age level but I wouldn't use it as a
fourth grade read aloud.  I'll be curious to hear what others have to say,
especially those who work with that age group.

I have read the book and would not recommend it for fourth graders. The main
character is an older girl and some of the action at the end of the book
when the chimpanzee is danger would be too intense for sensitive, animal
-loving elementary students, IMHO. A fine read for grade 7 and up though!

"Librarian. Genetically predisposed to answer questions and correct
misconceptions - whether asked or not." 2 01 2007

"Where all think alike, no one thinks much." ~~ Walter Lippman

Barbara Fritz
Elementary Librarian
Bloomsburg Area School District
Bloomsburg PA