Thank you to everyone who shared his or her ideas and suggestions. You all
are a great resource; my colleagues are so impressed by all of your fabulous
wisdom! Thank you again!

 Original post

What are your favorite poetry books that demonstrate the different kinds of
poetry? I am looking for books for K-2 and 3-5 grades. The different kinds
of poetry I was thinking of are: concrete, free verse, Haiku, limerick,
narrative, and any others I have forgotten.
Thanks in advance. I will post a hit as well.

*Means it was mentioned multiple times.

**Knock at a Star: A Child's Introduction to Poetry* by X.J. Kennedy and
Dorothy M. Kennedy- has numerous examples of all the types you mention as
well as many more.  The anthology is very well organized and the examples
are well chosen.  The section introductions are also very good.

**A Poke in the I* and **A Kick in the Head* by Paul Janeczko's are good for
this.

*Science Verse* Jon Scieszka’s though not directly focused on poetic forms,
does provide a good mix of forms in its parodies of familiar poems.

 Acrostic
*SILVER SEEDS* by Paul Paolilli and Dan Brewer
All four season books by Steven Schnur (these are alphabet acrostics)

Concrete
*SPLISH SPLASH *and* FLICKER FLASH*, both by Joan Bransfield Graham
**A POKE IN THE I: A COLLECTION OF CONCRETE POEMS* by Paul Janeczko

Haiku
*TODAY AND TODAY*, haiku by Issa, illustrations by G. Brian Karas
*ONE LEAF RIDES THE WIND* by Celeste Davidson Mannis
*BIRDS ON A WIRE: RENGA 'ROUND TOWN* by J. Patrick Lewis and Paul Janeczko
*If Not For the Cat* by Jack Prelutsky for Haiku-The illustrations are
beautiful. It is better for third grade and above.

List Poems
Georgia Heard's new book *FALLING DOWN THE PAGE: A BOOK OF LIST POEMS*

I also recommend these books describing a variety of forms:
**A KICK IN THE HEAD: AN EVERYDAY GUIDE TO POETIC FORMS* by Paul Janeczko
*FLY WITH POETRY: AN ABC OF POETRY* by Avis Harley
*LEAP INTO POETRY: MORE ABCs OF POETRY* by Avis Harley

Finally, ANY anthology by Lee Bennett Hopkins will contain poems in a
variety of forms but any number of terrific poets (Lee included).

Concrete poetry:
*Meow Ruff* by Joyce Sidman (story told in concrete poetry--extremely
clever!)
**Technically, It's Not My Fault* by John Grandits
**Doodle Dandies: Poems That Take Shape* by J. Patrick Lewis
*Outside the Lines: Poetry at Play* by Brad Burg
**A Poke in the I* edited by Paul Janeczko*
***Flicker Flash* by Joan Bransfield Graham

Acrostics:
*Winter: an Alphabet Acrostic* by Steven Schnur
*Spring: an Alphabet Acrostic *by Steven Schnur
*Autumn: an Alphabet Acrostic* by Steven Schnur
*Summer: an Alphabet Acrostic* by Steven Schnur

Haiku and other Japanese forms:
*In the Eyes of the Cat: Japanese Poetry for All Seasons* by Demi
*Don't Step on the Sky: a Handful of Haiku* by Miriam Chaikin
*If Not for the Cat* by Jack Prelutsky
*Tap Dancing on the Roof: Sijo (Poems)* by Linda Sue Park
*One Leaf Rides the Wind: Counting in a Japanese Garden* by Celeste A.
Mannis
*Yum! Mmmm! Que Rico!: America's Sproutings* by Pat Mora
Ro*bert's Snowflakes *by Grace Lin
*Haiku on Your Shoe* by Eileen M. Berry
*Least Things: Poems About Small Natures* by Jane Yolen
*Spring: a Haiku Story* by George Shannon

Haiku and free verse:
*A Pocketful of Poems* by Nikki Grimes

Poems for multiple voices:
*Big Talk: Poems for Four Voices* by Paul Fleischman
Jo*yful Noise: Poems for Two Voices *by Paul Fleischman
*I Am Phoenix: Poems for Two Voices* by Paul Fleischman

Rebus poems:
*I Love You: a Rebus Poem* by Jean Marzollo

Letter poems:
*Love Letters* by Arnold Adoff

Limericks:
*There Once Was a Very Odd School and Other Lunch Box Limericks* by Stephen
Krensky
*The Book of Pigericks* by Arnold Lobel

Multiple kinds of poetry:
**A Kick in the Head* edited by Paul Janeczko*
**Read a Rhyme, Write a Rhyme* by Jack Prelutsky (he demonstrates each type
of poem and then has a starter poem for students to finish writing)

*Rainbow Soup: Adventures in Poetry* by Brian P. Cleary (demonstrated
different types of poems and poetry terms)

*The Monarch's Progress: Poems With Wings* by Avis Harley
Also, for the teacher:
Teaching 10 Fabulous Forms of Poetry by Paul B. Janeczko (Scholastic)

*F*E*G: Ridiculous (Stupid) Poems for Intelligent Children* by Robin Hirsch

Betsy Franco's book, CONVERSATIONS WITH A POET, offers several lists of
poetry organized by form (haiku, concrete, etc.), plus lessons and
activities for introducing them to young people.

These are FANTASTIC suggestions; I just wanted to add a couple.  I believe
there is at least one (if not two) more books by Paul Janeczko with
different poetry forms and my FAVORITE book of concrete poems is
TECHNICALLY, IT'S NOT MY FAULT by John Grandits.  I had reluctant readers
fighting to read it out loud.  It's the day in the life of a young boy and
absolutely hilarious!  My favorite poem (and, if you didn't already know
this about me, the poem will show you how truly, um, 'un-classy' I am) is
The Autobiography of Murray the Fart. :-)

Good Luck.  I have been looking for years for one like this.  The closest I
have found is *R is for Rhyme: a Poetry Alphabet* by Judy Young.  It’s by
Sleeping Bear Press.
*Poems* by Joan Bransfield Graham; illustrated by Nancy Davis

Haiku Hike. /.
 <https://email.dearborn.k12.mi.us/images/icons/general/line.gif>
Written and illustrated by Fourth-grade Students of St. Mary's Catholic
School in Mansfield, Massachusetts.

Thirty poems, which have their text, arranged to startle the reader.
Poetry from A to Z: a guide for young writers

My favorite poetry lesson was using Eric Carle's *Animals Animals* and *Dragons
Dragons* and then creating our own free verse poems about make-believe
creatures. The kids loved it. (4th and 5th grade, but I think it could go
younger as well).

 Titles students have enjoyed:
**A Poke in the I: A Collection of Concrete Poems* by Janeczko
**Dogku *by Clements - He tells the story of a stray finding a home entirely
in haiku.
*Let Me Be the Boss: Poems for Kids to Perform* by Bagert
*Wing nuts: Screwy Haiku* by Janeczko
*Cool Melons - Turn to Frogs!: the Life and Poems of Issa* by Gollub
**A Kick in the Head: An Everyday Guide to Poetic Forms* by Janeczko
*A Book of Nonsense* by Lear
*Lots of Limericks* by Myra Cohn Livingston
*The Hopeful Trout and other Limericks* by Ciardi
*Shadow* by Brown
*Once Upon a Poem: Favorite Poems that Tell Stories*: foreword by Kevin
Crossley-Holland
*The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere* by Longfellow
*The Night Before Christmas* by Moore
*Casey at the Bat: A ballad of the Republic* by Thayer
*The Cremation of Sam McGee* by Service

Other great poets for kids:
X. J. Kennedy
Doug Florian
Valerie Worth
Karla Kuskin
Lee Bennett Hopkins
Aileen Fisher
Lilian Moore
Arnold Adoff

Jack Prelutsky's *Pizza, pigs and poetry: how to write a poem
A pocketful of poems* by Nikki Grimes, Javaka Steptoe
*Fly With Poetry: An ABC of Poetry* by Avis Harley
*Leap into Poetry: More ABCs of Poetry* by Avis Harley

 Recommended for collections of poems:
*A Jar of Tiny Stars: Poems* by NCTE Award-Winning poets by Cullinan

--
Michelle Levy
School Librarian