Here is a hit of responses I received.  There's a pretty extensive site out there
http://www.siblproject.org/display/famous.php that really helps, but some of their
matchups are kind of stretching.  Thanks to everyone for the help!  Have a great
weekend and a super-awesome-happy-fun National Library Week!

My Final List:

White Rabbit * Jefferson Airplane (Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland)
Sympathy for the Devil * The Rolling Stones (“Young Goodman Brown”)
Tom Sawyer * Rush (The Adventures of Tom Sawyer)
Ramble On * Led Zeppelin (The Lord of the Rings)
Don’t Fear the Reaper * Blue Oyster Cult (The Stand)
Romeo and Juliet * Dire Straits (Romeo and Juliet)
Breakfast at Tiffany’s * Deep Blue Something (Breakfast at Tiffany’s)
Frankenstein * Edgar Winter (Frankenstein)

***

Taylor Swifts Love Story (Romeo and Juliet)

***

There's a whole genre of music -- Wizard Rock -- that's all connected with Harry
Potter!
http://harryandthepotters.com/

***

This link lists some groups that make music inspired by the Twilight series...
http://twilightguide.com/tg/2008/10/16/twilight-inspired-music-groups/

The ones I have heard the most about are The Bella Cullen Project and Mitch
Hansen...
If Twilight is as big in Pennsylvania as it is down here, you might could use
something from them...

***
Love in the Library by Jimmy Buffett - while this isn't connected to any book that
I know of, I have heard Carmen Dedy do a presentation based around this.
Too old to die young by Linda Ronstadt - spoke of often in the book Deadline by
Chris Crutcher.
The album Tales of Mystery and Imagination by the Alan Parsons Project based on the
stories by Edger Allen Poe

***

"Romeo and Juliet" by disco synth wizard and producer Alec Constandinos.
It's probably hard to find, but the initial lyrics are the sonnet from
the opening of the play ("Two households both alike in dignity...")

Bruce Hornsby and the Range's "The Road Not Taken" is named after the
Frost poem and inspired by the work of writer Lee Smith

Dead or Alive's album Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to Know borrows a line
that was said about Lord Byron.  (The easiest to find song from the
album would be "I'll Save You All My Kisses" or "Brand New Lover.")

The band Shakespear's Sister references both Shakespeare and Virginia
Woolf's musings in A Room of One's Own about Shakespeare's sister.

The Smiths' song "Cemetery Gates" mentions Keats and Yeats ("I'll meet
you at the cemetery gates / Keats and Yeats are on your side")

Wang Chung's lead singer Jack Hues took his stage name from the Zola
essay in support of Dreyfus, "J'Accuse."  The band's "The Flat Horizon"
uses the Shakespearean idea about the artist arresting time through
his/her art.  "A Fool and His Money" borrows the phrase from Tobias
Smollett's novel Humphry Clinker, although the phrase's roots probably

The Police's "Don't Stand So Close to Me" references Nabokov in the
lyrics, and the subject of the song links to Nabokov's novel Lolita.

The Eurythmics created the score to go along with the 1980s movie
adaptation of Orwell's 1984.  They released an album where all the songs
are connected to the book, including "Sex Crime (1984)," "Julia," and
"Doubleplusgood."

The Bee Gees' "For Whom the Bell Tolls" takes its title from the
Hemingway novel.

Truman Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's served as the inspiration for
Deep Blue Something's song called, well, "Breakfast at Tiffany's."

Bronski Beat's "It Ain't Necessarily So" uses multiple Biblical
allusions, including Jonah and the whale.  (But seeing as how its chorus
runs "Things that you're liable / To read in the Bible / Ain't
necessarily so," that might be impolitic depending on your school.)

Larry Tagg's "Oh Pollyanna" disputes the children's book character's
worldview.

***
Leon Russell and the Shelter People - Stranger In A Strange Land Lyrics
http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/thepassionofthechrist/strangerinastrangeland.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjy7RAu8TJ4

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John

Frankenstein - Edgar Winter

Guinnevere - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young

Here are two websites that will give you more:

http://www.fiql.com/playlists/songs_inspired_by_literature/

***

Wuthering Heights / Kate Bush

***
Tales of Brave Ulysses by Cream-- The Odyssey

***
Ghost of Tom Joad by Bruce Springsteen-- The Grapes of Wrath
Hey Jack Kerouac by 10,000 Maniacs-- On the Road
1984 by David Bowie-- 1984
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John-- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

***
Carol King sings Sendak's collection of books Peirre, Aligator All Around.  There
are more to the collection I just can't remembe all of them. Susan

***

http://artistsforliteracy.org/display/famous.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_that_retell_a_work_of_literature

Carrie Fox