Dear Colleagues:

My question is somewhat hypothetical but here is the situation: Our  affluent
school district is getting rid of all full time aides in our elementary
schools and replacing them with a smaller pool of part time aides. Of course,  the
libraries are almost totally losing out and is dependent on the viewpoint of
individual principals.

If you had 5 minutes with a superintendent and you had to make a case for
library aides(i.e. what makes libraries unique and different from other parts of
 the school, i.e. classrooms and other special teachers such as art, music,
PE)

Here's what I have so far...

1. Librarians manage a facility, they don't only teach. Large number of
clerical tasks and there is a monetary value to a library collection.

2. Librarians don't really have a prep period like teachers-our libraries
are open to accomodate everyone else's schedule.

3. Librarians in our school district have to manage a large number of
volunteers (up to about 100). While they provide much needed  assistance,volunteers
must also be trained, managed and monitored.

4. Librarians and librariaes are a resource not only for students but also
for the entire staff

5. We have a budget-who else do you know has to manage a budget without any
clerical assistance?

I am working on this proposal over the school break and would welcome any
suggestions. I hope the above explains my thinking and approach.

We have also prepared a document about the impact on students but the above
would be the oral part of the presentation.

Thanks.

Amy Ipp
Millburn Middle School
Millburn NJ