Original post:

I just received a donation of the series "Getting to Know... Nature's
Children" by Grolier. My question is should I keep this series? The
copyright date is 1998 or 1999. I usual weed books that are over 10 years
old. Is this series worth keeping? I am not very familiar with this series.
Each book is a double subject of animals (2 per book), for example, Wolves &
Whales; Crocodiles & Kangaroos (a catalogers nightmare). What are your
thoughts? The books are in great shape and they would be used but I am
concerned about content too.

Decision: I am going to keep them. I don’t have a big budget and these will
be useful for all grades. Thank you to all of your advise and suggestions.

I was in a similar boat a couple years ago - someone donated almost an
entire set.  I opted to keep them, despite their age, and am I ever glad
I did.  They really are popular with students in gr. 3 and 4 (especially
as our curriculum has the gr. 4 students studying animal habitats, and
most teachers opt for an animal research project...).  I noticed in a
catalogue the other day that Grolier is updating the series, with color
pictures, and I suppose some updated writing... If you've got lots of
$$, you might want to consider purchasing the updated set.  Otherwise,
I'd keep the donated set.

I was given this series as well a couple of years ago, and our kids love
them.  Teachers also use them in 2nd and 3rd grades for projects in science
on animals.  I would say...keep them!

I would keep it, it's a great series and very little if anything has changed
in our scientific knowledge of those animals.

Sounds like classroom sets to me.

I purchased the entire series, compliments of PTO, about 10 years ago.
This was the 1 series that our 3d grade teachers thought was the best
that was available to me at the time, even though, when I checked many
of the books came in at a 5th RL.  I do think they are worthwhile books
in the collection.  My books are only 1 topic per, so they were easy to
catalog.  I have seen the ones you mentioned and that would definitely
be a pain.  I'd be curious to know if you get a counter response; maybe
I need to be looking into other animal resources.  About the 3d page in,
there is a page that gives very detailed and basic information that kids
find very helpful for their research projects -- an annual "big deal"
here.  Good luck.

I have this set and it is well used. Animals don't really date and I've
appreciated having information on so many animals at that reading level.

I had the same set donated to my library a few years ago. I ended up giving
them to a 4th grade teacher who does animal reports each year.

Do you weed a title just because it is 10 years old? If so, there is no
point in adding these books. On the other hand, if that is only one
consideration, then I'd probably add them IF the content looks reasonable.
You said that they would be used, so it sounds like you have already looked
at them and decided that they are appropriate for your school.

A lot depends on how the books would be used and whether you already have
sufficient material to cover those animals.  If the students would enjoy the
pictures (mine would) and you can spare the shelf space, you might consider
keeping them.  Animal books of all kinds are among our most popular
nonfiction.

We have the series in our building.  It is a very popular set with my
elementary kids and are checked out constantly!  We have an even older set
but the circulation outweighs my weeding of it.  Do any of your grades do
animal studies?  My 3rd grade teachers do an extensive unit with having one
of the nature children's books being a resource for them.  Depending on your
students and their interests should depend on if you keep them.  Just my 2
cents.  Good Luck,

We have the whole set of Nature's Children books, and they are read and
loved by all of our students in grades K-5. Unless the animal is endangered,
the information should be up to date.

 -
Michelle Levy
School Librarian