Richie's Picks: WAITING TO SCORE by J.E.  MacLeod, WestSide Books, February
2009, 200p., ISBN:  978-1-934813-01-0

"'She's really sad, and just trying to  figure out how to fit into this
messed-up world of ours.'  I looked around  at all of us.  We were all trying to do
the same thing in our own  way."

Zachary Chase is the new kid in town.  A high  school junior "with good hair
and smoking hockey skills," he has just  completed tryouts for the team in
Haletown Montana, and is heading for the  arena concession stand in search of a
soda when he bumps  into a girl.  Literally:

"'Ouch!  Hey, watch it,' a female voice  yelped.
"It caught me off guard for a second, until I looked up.   I'd crashed
straight into a girl.  She held a book open and obviously  hadn't been paying
attention either.  She almost pierced my skin with the  expression in her eyes.
"I couldn't help smiling.  She looked scrappy.  She  wasn't tiny, maybe five
six, but in spite of her height, she appeared  small.  Thin.  Maybe 110 pounds
on a bloated day.  Her clothes  hung on her, like she'd raided her big
sister's closet.  Her much bigger  sister.  She wore a long black skirt, black Doc
Martens, and a black  sweater that hung on her thin shoulders, where her black
hair, obviously  straight from a bottle, rested.
"Everything about her reeked rebel.  I looked at her  eyes.  They glared,
flashing with distaste, but they were a crazy pale blue  color, kind of shiny,
almost gentle, even with all the thick black eyeliner  around each eye.  Not a
pothead, I guessed; just making a fashion  statement, maybe?  Even her harsh
clothes, hair, and makeup couldn't  disguise the good looks this girl had been
born with.
"She clutched a thick novel, the fold about half way through  it.  I tried to
see the title but I couldn't make it out."

Why this Goth-looking, attitudinal female who hates hockey  players is
regularly seen reading in the bleachers of the ice arena is  one of the many things
that Zack comes to learn about Jane  Parker.

Meanwhile, Zack has already gotten the message  -- delivered on the ice
during tryouts -- that the team's captain Trevor  (Mac) MacDonald Jr. has it out
for him.  It turns out that Zack's  reputation has preceded him:

Zack is the player Mac will never be.
Zack's father was a National Hockey League star who was drunk  behind the
wheel of a car loaded with players and hockey pucks (groupies)  when it crashed
-- killing all of the occupants -- just before Zack was  born.

Zack mother has brought him up well and Zack can talk with her  about nearly
anything.  She has moved him around in order to pursue her  professional
career while raising him as a single mom.  She has high  hopes for Zack's gaining
the notice of a good college, where he can play  hockey and get a degree on his
way to the NHL.  He's got his fair  share of testosterone, but he worries
about doing the right  thing.

In contrast, Mac is not at all a nice person, and by  time we get a few doses
of his belligerent father, we understand where Mac  has acquired his bullying
nature, his complete lack of fair play, and  his appalling (to say the least)
treatment of females.  We have no  idea how low Mac might stoop in order to
remove the threat that Zack  represents to his and his father's egos and plans.

But it is not just Mac who has Jane despising hockey  players.  WAITING TO
SCORE is immersed in violence (on and off  the ice), hormones, underdressed
girls, alcohol and wild,  out-of-control parties, and it is Zack's captain and
teammates who are  to be repeatedly found at the middle of things.  So it is not
surprising  that many see Zack as being rather unusual for not going along
with  the prevailing "boys-will-be-boys" philosophy and (mis)behaviors.

While there is plenty of hot action on the ice,  WAITING TO SCORE is far less
a sports action book than I had assumed it would  be.  This is foremost a
realistic story of teens learning to fit in  and survive, and author Janet
MacLeod does  a stellar job of probing every one of Zack's interpersonal
relationships including with his mom, Jane, his new, close friend  Sheila, his
teammate
David, Mac, and the beautiful and deeply-troubled  Mona Ryder.

"'What do you have to say for yourself?'  Coach Cal  sounded pissed.
"I tried to stand up.  I didn't say anything.   Because I passed out."

Thanks to J.E. MacLeod, new contemporary YA  publisher WestSide Books puts
its first big points on the  board.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
BudNotBuddy@aol.com