Thanks for all of the quick responses and wonderful support.  Here's what I
gathered from everyone:

Hopefully you found something at the AASL/ALA website toolkits.

Got one for ya-- a white paper we wrote up.  :)
http://remc12.wikispaces.com/file/view/WhitePaper

Here are a couple of links and an attachment. Good luck!

http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/aasl/aaslproftools/toolkits/aasladvocacy.cfm
<https://elink.skitsap.wednet.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/aasl/aaslproftools/toolkits/aasladvocacy.cfm>

http://www.lrs.org/impact.php

http://www.lrs.org/impact.php
<https://elink.skitsap.wednet.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.lrs.org/impact.php>

Keith Curry Lance's studies show impact of school libraries on student
achievement.  Check out the various state reports on the above listed
site.   I think you will find justification for strong library
programs.

> School Libraries Work! found at:
> http://www2.scholastic.com/content/collateral_resources/pdf/s/slw3_2008.pdf
><https://elink.skitsap.wednet.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www2.scholastic.com/content/collateral_resources/pdf/s/slw3_2008.pdf>
>

> http://www.cobbk12.org/librarymedia/proof/research.pdf
><https://elink.skitsap.wednet.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.cobbk12.org/librarymedia/proof/research.pdf>
>

> http://www.lrs.org/impact.php
><https://elink.skitsap.wednet.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.lrs.org/impact.php>
>

>http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/aasl/aaslissues/positionstatements/aaslposition.cfm

This was sent out earlier this week or weekend. There is also the
Scholastic Research Document online.
School library services should be considered as part of what makes a
campus a good educational provider!

Dear School librarians and library supporters,

I am urging you to take a few moments to write three elected officials
to ask for their support for including language in the proposed state
law designed to revamp the state's accountability and promotional
requirements.
This is an critical chance for us to begin building a place in state
policy regarding the role of school libraries. We need the educational
system to embed a criteria that says: If you want to call a campus
distinguished, then it must have a quality school library program.
The Texas House will consider HB 3 soon (possibly within a week). We
urge you to email your own state representative, Rep. Rob Eissler
(chairman of the House Public Education Committee), and Speaker Joe
Straus to request that HB 3 (Eissler) be amended to include language
that would add the evaluation of school library services as a criteria
for campus distinctive designation.

Who to email?

1.      Rep. Rob Eissler: rob.eissler@house.state.tx.us
2.      Speaker Joe Straus: joe.straus@speaker.state.tx.us
3.      Your own representative. To find who represents you and for
contact information, go to: http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/
<https://elink.skitsap.wednet.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/>
 .

What to ask for?
Specifically, we would like the bill to be amended as follows:
Add "(6) library services." in Subchapter G, Section 39.201, D of the
committee substitute, continuing the list provided (1) - (5) in the
subsection.

What to say?
When you email these three elected officials, be sure to explain in
your
own words why school library services are critical to education and
why
they must be considered when assessing the excellence of a campus.

BACKGROUND and TALKING POINTS

Rationale
School libraries are an essential asset in student learning and the
development of lifelong information literacy skills.  School
libraries:
*       help students perform better on standardized tests and
curricular expectations;
*       create equal opportunities that allow all students to be
competitive against state and national peers; and
*       support learning and student achievement at all levels.

Research shows strong school libraries equal higher student
achievement.
Dozens of national studies, including one conducted in Texas ,
demonstrate that students in schools with strong school libraries
perform better on standardized tests.
*      According to the Texas Study (2001), over 10% more students in
schools with librarians than in schools without librarians met minimum
state expectations in standardized testing reading scores. This study
indicates that library services--staffing levels, collection sizes,
librarian interaction with teachers and students, and library
technology
levels-have a positive association with testing performance at the
elementary, middle/junior high, and high school levels.
*      Information literacy is the universal currency for success in
today's competitive world. This is especially true for our children
who
must be equipped to access, use, and evaluate information competently
and ethically.  School library programs are the mechanisms for
teaching
these skills, reinforcing classroom instruction, and opening other
portals for learning.

Relationship of Amendment to CSHB 3

*      The other criteria designated in CSHB 3 in this section
include:
1) academic achievement in English language arts, mathematics,
science,
or social studies; 2) fine arts; 3) physical education; 4) 21st
Century
Workforce Development program; and 5) second language acquisition
program.
*      School libraries are as essential as the other programs listed
in
the bill; and, as libraries relate directly to instruction and
assisting
student in meeting curricular requirements, library programs are
fundamental to a truly well-rounded educational experience.

In a recent statewide public opinion poll of Texas registered voters,
staggering 99% of respondents believe that school libraries are
essential to education.

I think you need an army of parents - if every librarian in your district
could contact parents and get a petition, a protest, a convoy to speak to
the school board - that's your best bet.
Handing papers to principals is not going to do it. The squeaky wheels who
get listened to are parents,
My opinion,
But I'll be truly shocked if position papers work for you,
good luck,
we are all in very precarious positions - and that's not right!

Michelle Peck
Teacher Librarian
Mullenix Ridge Elementary
Port Orchard, WA  98367