My original post:
 I am struggling with finding good quality clear protective labels for my
 barcode/spine labels.  I have used some that quickly lose their stick, and
 some - like the ultra aggressive labels from Demco - that work too well in
that glue is on the outside, upperside edges and thus pick up every
 imaginable speck of crud and make our books look particularly gross around
 the edges of the labels.

 Have any of you found success with a brand or type, one that sticks well
 but doesn't collect goo?  I'd love your recommendations.

And the recommendations...thanks for all your responses!

I really like the ones I get from The Library Store.  The item number is 16-1303.
They are 1 1/4'' by 3 1/8''.  These are non-glare and are probably a bit more
expensive, but they seem to 'softer' than the other kinds and stick very well to
odd textures and very smooth covers.
******************

I used book tape.  Labels are not sticky enough.
******************

I like the ones that Kapco puts out.  They are extremely thin but they don't seem
to come off like the some of the others I've purchased.  Maybe the reason for that
is is that this company specializes in book repair products that are wonderful--my
assistant absolutely loves their products and says they work better than anything
she has used in the 25 years she has been a library assistant.
******************

I've used a couple of different ones from Highsmith, but when the labels are on the
outside of the cover where abrasion occurs, the protective labels don't stand a
chance.  I think they all come up at the corners after a while.  That's why I also
put a duplicate bar code inside the back cover where it gets less wear and tear.
******************

I use clear box sealing tape out of a tape gun. It has the transparency I need and
just enough sticky to stay stuck but no ooze.
******************

Hi Angela--we are very happy with label protectors from Brodart,
#55247106. They come on a roll of 1000, i think, and we've been using them
for years with only an occasional peel-up.
******************

I've given up on labels, and just use short lengths of high-quality packing tape
(the heavier-weight stuff) or book tape.  It works great.
******************

I've actually quit using the protectors and am using the clear book repair
tape. It is cheaper and works better. It stays stuck better, but at the same
time if I need to remove the barcode or spine label it peels off.  And it
comes in a variety of different sizes.

I use Kapco myself.  I switched from Demco because I was able to order them through
School Specialty Supply  when I did my end-of-year classroom supplies ordering.  (I
saved a little bit on my library budget by taking them out of that fund instead).

We use Gaylord LP4 "Vinyl Label Protectors" over the barcode.
And we use The Library Store's, Polyester Bar Code Label protectors for
the spines. #16-1402