Koha is an open source on line cataloging program. The program is free, but tech
support must be purchased from a separate source and requires a yearly maintenance
fee. Below are some responses with information and opinions that I received
(without names),

Since we have only one library, and we had already planned to go with Destiny (the
money is already budgeted), we are going to stick with it instead of trying Koha. I
just don't have the time to research it now.

Thanks to all who responded (and who corrected me on the name!).

you may have received this info already or you may be looking for something else,
but if you're looking for a free OPAC, then you want Koha (http://www.koha.org/).
You pay LibLime (http://liblime.com/) for support and training.

The quote we got was a certain amount per record, and they would do all the work.
Destiny did, indeed, include the conversion in their purchase price, but they were
SO much more expensive to begin with that we didn't even consider them after we got
the price quote.

All of our elementary schools have now switched to this.  At the secondary level we
are still holding out for a better program with tech support.  It is a very heated,
actually divisive topic in our district, to say the least.

The software is called Koha - you can see more at koha.org - it is an open source
Library Automation system.

We migrated in January from Horizon 7.4.  It doesn't run on "ANYTHING" but runs
mainly on Linux servers.

The desktop is a web based client.

We signed with a support company - LibLime to help us with the migration and other
issues.

Our district is on a huge push toward open source software, mostly because it is
free.  We are having a difficult time convincing them that the library automation
program and the accompanying tech support is integral to our job.

Carrie Casarez
Librarian
Whiteface CISD
Whiteface, TX 79379
806-287-1104 ext. 224
carrie.casarez@whitefaceschool.net

        <b>NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY:</b>

        This electronic mail transmission may contain confidential information,
belonging to the sender,

        which is legally privileged. The information is intended only for the use
of the individual or

entity listed above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any

disclosure, copying, distribution, use, or taking of any action on reliance of the
contents of this

electronically-mailed confidential information is strictly prohibited and may
violate Board policy

(legal) and the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). If you have
received this

electronic mail in error, please notify us by telephone immediately to arrange for
return and

correction of internal records; in addition, please delete the original message.