I agree!  When I ordered an additional copy of The Tale of Despereaux, it came with
a bookmark saying, Read the book before you see the movie.  (How about reading the
book instead of seeing the movie?  I don't think I could get away with making such
a suggestion.)

After I read, and enjoyed, Eragon, I saw the movie on DVD.  I was appalled.
Important plot details were changed or omitted, and one important character was
left out entirely.

I recently read The Fledging of Az Gabrielson by Jay Amory, and learned last week
that it is to be made into a movie.  I only hope the producers will retain the
essence of an excellent, action-packed, thought-provoking novel.

Basya Karp, Librarian
Shulamith High School and Shulamith School For Girls
Brookyn, New York
basyak10@hotmail.com

> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 17:53:24 -0600
> From: mediamaddie@COMCAST.NET
> Subject: New Movies...Old Favorites
> To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
>
> Hello Everyone,
>    I went to the movie today and and while I was leaving I saw movies coming
> out of old favorite books:
>
> "Where the Wild Things Are"
> "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs"
> "Alice in Wonderland"
>
> Not to mention the "Cronicle of Narnia" series and "Harry Potter."  Having
> read all the books and series mentioned here, I am extremely disappointed
> that good books are now being made into movies that take the imagination,
> skill, discussion and fun out of reading books. Mr. Tumnus in the movie came
> no where near the one I had imagined so many years ago, and what a
> disappointment for me as a lover of books and reading.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Maddie Wood
> Teacher Librarian
> Lowry Elementary
> Denver, CO
> mediamaddie@comcast.net

>   You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>   by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
> To change your LM_NET status, you send a message to: listserv@listserv.syr.edu
> In the message write EITHER:
> 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET