I've been enjoying following this discussion. Bad adaptations really make me
mad--especially if it was a book that I really liked. My son and I both liked the
Spiderwick books--but my son didn't like the movie at all (said it was too
different) and I only enjoyed the movie b/c I watched it as though it were a 2nd
cousin to the books. That said, I may be in the minority on this issue as a whole,
because, in my experience, when a movie based on a book comes out, circulation of
the books tends to increase--sometimes to the point that I have to purchase more
copies. This has been the case in the children's room at the 3 different libraries
I have worked: the public library, at the high school library and at my current
elementary school library. That said, when a movie does not live up to a popular
book title, I hear great discussions about why the kids liked (or didn't) the movie
or the book. This is great! Kids discussing (and critically I might add) books
they've read--exploring the concept of adaptation and versions (even if they don't
realize it). When a movie is well adapated (good screenplay, consultation with the
author, or just b/c of a great understanding of the author's vision), it can do a
lot to encourage reading--and can reignite excitement about old favorites. At a
recent showing of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, a preview playedf of the
upcoming Lightning Thief movie. Following the preview, there was applause from the
audience. Turns out, some of my kids were there--and one of them has been a BIG
Riordan fan. I will guarantee that this kid is going to be re-reading the Percy
Jackson books--and, I already know that I'm going to need to order a few extra
copies of the series--because the movie is coming out--be it a good adaptation or a
bad one. (I have my fingers crossed.)

I am hoping to add a lesson this year that compares book versions and adaptations
into movies. I'm hoping it will spur discussion about where ideas come from and how
they can be shared. It's also a great opportunity to do a "Seen the Movie? Read the
Book!" display. After all, many of our kids don't realize that some of these
"classic" movies started out as books (Mary Poppins, Pippi Longstocking, 101
Dalmatians, etc.)

If you get a chance, check out my blog post about movies into books and the running
list of children's books that have been turned into movies at:
http://thebookdragon.blogspot.com/2008_12_01_archive.html

Ronda Y. Foust, Librarian
Hardin Valley Elementary School
Knoxville, TN