Colleagues --

I want to share with you an article I received in today's email.  I am
familiar with the town mentioned in the article, but in order to give the
article some perspective, I have included some additional information for
those of you are not.

I found myself going back to the article several times today to assure
myself that, in fact, I had read it correctly.  Sadly, each subsequent
reading not only confirmed that I had, but disheartened me even more.  Over
and over, I kept coming back to this question: Is this where our profession
will be in a few years?  Is this the future of school libraries?

I share so many of Principal Light's visions for education; much of what he
says in the YouTube videos is extremely insightful and praise-worthy.  He
seems to be a truly dedicated educator ... except in the particular instance
of libraries and librarians and the contribution they make and the role they
play in achieving the kind and quality of education he wants for the
students in his charge.

As always, it is jarring to hear a talented musician such as Mr. Light miss
a beat or play slightly off-key, especially during such a critical
performance

I hope the following will precipitate an excellent discussion.

Kate Brown

labookworm@gmail.com

Librarian Looking for a Library

By way of background, Franklin, MA is located in southeastern Massachusetts,
about 45 minutes from Boston.

<http://franklinma.virtualtownhall.net/Pages/index>

As of July 2008, the population was 32,148, the average age was in the
mid-thirties; and in 2007, the average income was $88,873, more than $26,000
above the average income in the Commonwealth.  It is a predominantly white
community with a largely Irish and Italian heritage.  For population 25
years and over, 92.9% have completed high school or higher, 42.7% have a
bachelor's degree or higher, and 13.7% have graduate or professional
degrees.

One can find several pieces on YouTube.com about Franklin High School's
principal, Peter Light, the subject of the article below, that detail his
professional background in Franklin as well as his vision for Franklin High
School.

<YouTube.com <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uAh1EL6JbI> >

Principal Light has a blog, FSH Principal's Blog:  The Online Newsletter of
Franklin High School, <http://franklinhighschool.wordpress.com
<http://franklinhighschool.wordpress.com/> > on WordPress.com where he
recently posted a letter to the community concerning changes that students
will find have been made to the school, etc. when they return in September.
I direct your attention to p.3, in particular, where he details changes made
this summer to what had been the school's library.  I also direct your
attention to the chart detailing personnel changes made over the summer.

In particular, however, I direct your attention to this article from the
Milford Daily News that explains the changes made to the former library in
consummate detail:

<http://www.milforddailynews.com/homepage/x1202627306/Franklin-High-library-
undergoes-transformation