Yep, it's true!  You can scan bar codes with your cell phone to
comparison shop or get more info about a product or more?  You can
embed them in powerpoint and word documents to link to web info, put
them on bookmarks, wear one on your tshirt,!

See:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96817211
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/01/business/01code.html?_r=1

and in Japan you can get nutritional info at McDonalds, board a plane,
get info on a home for sale and more...

http://u.nu/84sp

This requires the new QR codes: http://u.nu/55sp

You can read about QR codes at Wikipedia and see one there, too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_Code

and What You Need to Know about QR Codes:
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleId=56159

and there's an Educause "7 Things You Should Know" publication, too. (pdf)
http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ELI7046.pdf

 From BeeTagg:
"Link the offline world to the online world and make things come alive.
All you need is a QR-Code, BeeTagg Code or Datamatrix and the BeeTagg
Multicode Reader on your phone."  http://www.beetagg.com/  There's a
link there to create your own QR code to scan:
http://generator.beetagg.com/  and there are also a couple of very short
slide shows about it including this intro: http://u.nu/47sp

I'll bet you've seen them on shipping boxes and packing slips....

For educational and library applications see:
http://u.nu/2j2s

Lots of potential here...any of you using them now?????  PLEASE tell me
how and I'll post a hit.

Donna Baumbach
Professor Emerita