My original post addressed the issue of where to shelve individual biographies and
collective biographies.  My collective biographies in 920 (about bands, sports
figures, and historical duos like Lewis and Clark) weren't circulating, and I asked
about the advisability of shelving them with my individual biographies (on the
other side of the library).

I'd like to thank the 23 people who responded.  The majority of the respondents
assured me that the ghost of Melville Dewey would not haunt me if I bent the rules
a little to assure the kids found what they needed!

The advice fell into three general categories.  Seven people said I should go ahead
and shelve the groups with the individuals in the biography section.  Eleven people
suggested a compromise:  Put the collective biographies in a section right next to
the individual biography section, either before or after, using clear signage.
Five people suggested I intershelve the collective biographies with the nonfiction
books with the related topic (ie., bands would go in the music section; athletes
would go in the sports section).

Here's a clever trick one librarian uses:  "I teach my students that 921 KEL is a
biography about "1" person. (show the 1 from 921)  The books with 920 are for a
group of more than 1 (I make my arms into a circle to show that I can put more than
one person in a group and that my arms are making the 0 in 920)."

Thanks to all for helping me make an informed decision.

--
Sandra Lingo, Librarian
Delhi Middle School