My original query was for suggestions for read alouds for grades 1 through 4.

Off to First Grade by Louise Borden

* * *

I usually start with either The Library Dragon by Carmen Agra Deedy or The
Librarian From the Black Lagoon - Mike Thayer. I have the plush library dragon and
a bobble head and huge picture of Ms. Beamster from the Black Lagoon. They are fun
books and they give me a chance to explain my expectations and library rules as we
go.

* * *

My favs are Noisy Nora for K-1 and Library Dragon for 1,2

* * *

I always read What Happened to Marion's Book? by Brook Berg to first graders.

The Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen and The Lion's Share by Matthew McElligott are
new books that have already become read-aloud favorites.

The John Hancock Club by Louse Borden is great for kids who are about to learn
cursive writing in third grade.

* * *

K - I Took My Frog to the Library, We're Going on A Book Hunt, Shelf Marker Song
http://www.pkwy.k12.mo.us/panda/minilessons/minielem/shelfmark.htm
<http://www.pkwy.k12.mo.us/panda/minilessons/minielem/shelfmark.htm>  good
for 1st also.
1- Winston the Book Wolf, Library Lion, Beverly Billingsley Borrow a Book, Mr.
Wiggle
2 - Wild About Books, Spider School, Goldie Locks and the Three Libearians, The
Shelf Elf,  But Excuse Me That is My Book (Charlie and Lola) by Lauren Child
3 - The Library Dragon
4 - Library Lil
5 or 4 - Our Librarian Won't Tell Us Anything

* * *

I read the Librarian From the Black Lagoon to all of my gr 1-5s a few years ago.
They all loved it.

* * *

A Fine Fine School, by Sharon Creech

John Patrick Norman McHennesey - the boy who was always late, by John Burningham.

* * *

I always read Patty Lovell's Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon to grade 1. It's fantastic
for young ones. You might also consider Lauren Child's I Am Too Absolutely Small
for School. I usually read this to Pre-K and/or Kindergarten, but it would work for
other grades as well. It's Charlie & Lola, and kids know them from TV these days.

* * *

With 1st grade, I always read Me First by Helen Lester.

* * *

I have two favorite picture books:

Stella Louella's  Runaway Book by Lisa Campbell Ernst and
Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen, illustrated by Kevin Hawkes

Another one you might look at for the 4th graders is That Book Woman by
Heather Henson

For a read-aloud chapter book for 3rd & 4th, they love Please Write in This Book by
Mary Amato.

* * *

Here are some I read with my 1st graders:
First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg
Mr. Ouchy's First Day by B. G. Hennessy
The Night Before First Grade by Natasha Wing
Miss Malarkey Doesn't Live in Room 10 by Judy Finchler
The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
First Grade Stinks! by Mary Ann Rodman
Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
Mrs. McBloom, Clean Up Your Classroom! by Kelly S. Dipucchio

 * * *

The First Graders From Mars books are fun to read aloud for those first graders.
The Denis Cazet books like Don't Spit On Your Shoes are fun for setting a tone too.
 There by Marie Louise Gay is very new but I think it could get kids thinking about
where they're headed :)

* * *

The Wheels on the Bus
Get Ready for 2nd Grade Amber Brown
Clifford's First School Day
Gingerbread Fred
Froggy Goes to School

I also show the DVD clips from the Berenstain Bears Go to School.

One of my favorite plays to do is based on the book Book! Book! Book!

I also love any book by Toni Buzzeo.

* * *

The School Library Journal - Curriculum Connections just came out with two great
lists:

Back To School Bonanza - Books for Reading Aloud
http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6671557.html?q=back+to+school
<http://webmail.hazlet.org/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6671557.html?q=back%2Bto%2Bschool>

Back to School Read Aloud Roundup

http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6580382.html?nid=3792&rid=reg_visitor_id&source=link