As you can see from the responses below, both the Poppy series and its
companion series can be really popular with the help of book talking and
pushing the first one!

Thanks to all who responded,

Wendy

The Poppy series is not incredibly popular in my K-4 school; however,
several students who have started the series keep reading until they read
all we have.

I sure love them....:

We have all the Poppy books. I have read most of them, and enjoyed them. The
subsequent titles are not as popular as the first book, but definitely have
a readership: those kids who love Poppy really enjoy the others.

Yes, they are popular. And if you book talk them, the kids that like animal
fantasy will read them. AVI is my favorite author. He is so varied in what
he writes

I have them all and they are quite popular with the kids who like animal
fiction. They are relatively easy reads and follow the typical Avi style of
ending chapters with cliff-hangers that make you want to keep reading. Don't
forget that "Ereth's Birthday" is a companion novel to the Poppy books but
not necessarily one of the series. I had elementary kids (when I worked in
elem) as young as 3rd grade who were really into the Poppy books.

I have all but the last one and my 4th thru 7th love them. I don't have them
for the elementary but I think that even my advanced 3rd graders would love
them. I do have the last one on my list for this year.

We have all the Poppy books in our library.  Children who enjoy the first
one will love the others as well.  I would recommend them all.

They are extremely popular in my school, although that might be because I
tend to recommend them to my students.

Yes and yes.   : )

They are quite popular at our school (gr 1-5); our 3rd grade teachers read
Poppy, then the students want to read the rest.

just an FYI, but POPPY is on the NJ Battle of the Books list this year (
09-10)... if you participate, I have found that if the kids read the first
in a series ( or sequence) they may pick up the others.